Mad Max: Fury Road trailer

You guys sure Mel Gibson isn’t in this? At 1:31 in the trailer, there’s a very quick cut to someone holding holding a flare in front of someone’s face. That face looks an awful lot like Mel Gibson under heavy makeup.

One of those vehicles is giving off a very The Cars that ate Paris vibe. I know that dangerous-cars is the MM2 & 3 & 4 aesthetic, but the spiky-beetle (or dune buggy?) seems a bit obvious:

compared to

side-view, and we see that “super-spiky” is a theme on other vehicles, as well:

Fury Road screenshots from http://www.djfood.org/djfood/mad-max-fury-road-tralier-1, CtaP shot from an image-search. I now note that the screenshot source has somebody making the same observation in the comments.

I swear I saw this truck in a music video back in 91 or 92; I remember it as being “James Brown is Dead” but can’t find any video corroboration:

1 Like

I was thinking the exact opposite. The first half of the trailer looked real, but the more Biblical scenes looked like way-over-the-top CG.
Then I see @akbar5656’s quote and see I’m wrong. (about the cars anyway).
Being a fan of the first two, I’ll give this one a look definitely.
I do enjoy a good apocalypse.

Just imagine where creature-effects and robotics would be now, if CG hadn’t jumped the queue.

1 Like

Good sentiment, but somehow I doubt the dudes getting blown a hundred feet out of the tornado car explosion are real live stuntmen.

Not anymore, they’re not. :wink:

By the way, I want this guy’s gig:

I’m pretty sure he’s playing lead guitar.

Or maybe to be one of these guys:

What strikes me as funny is that this trailer actually makes The Road Warrior seem, by comparison, to be a genuinely plausible and surprisingly realistic movie. That said, I am far more excited to see this than I am for the new Star Wars.

May can’t come soon enough. As I mentioned in the other thread about this trailer, I’ve already gotten my $12 worth of entertainment from this trailer and the Comic Con teaser. The rest of the movie could be Ed Asner reading the first four chapters of 1 Chronicles over and over while holding his nose, and it’d still be worth it.

2 Likes

No one claims that George went 100% practical with this. Just as much as he could he did.

This futuristic vision brought to you courtesy of your Friendly Neighborhood Patriarchal Tea Party!

(you can thank us later…)

I’m not sure, but it looks like the drumming guys are at the back of the truck that guitar dude is on (which I’m pretty sure is one of these, an entirely sensible choice of vehicle in the circumstances, Porsche used them as support trucks in the Dakar rally.)

1 Like

Does anybody else keep reading this as ‘Furry Road’?

2 Likes

Yes. I also keep reading the front of that as Max Max.

I might need new glasses. :confused:

1 Like

Too soon.

1 Like

Apparently not:

I mean, this is from George Miller, the director of Babe and Happy Feet.

source, with some “stills”.

1 Like

He did those?

Never seen either, I thought he’d made a career of just Mad Max films.

Haven’t seen them either. Also: Witches of Eastwick.

interesting bit (from a linked-film in the 'ography):

40,000 Years of Dreaming is an hour-long documentary film presented by George Miller and produced by the British Film Institute, as part of their Century of Cinema series.

The film acts mainly as a collage of various pieces of Australian film, past and present, including Miller’s own Mad Max series. In the film, Miller focuses primarily on Australian cinema as a vessel of public dreaming, creating a link between contemporary Australian cinema and ancient Aborigine dreamtime stories, while at the same time providing leigh-way to those elements that Miller posits make Australian film such a unique blend - the archetypal landscape, and the idiosyncratic Australian types, among them. Miller also places Australian cinema in the context of Joseph Campbell’s monomyth, of which Miller has long been a proponent.

1 Like

I never knew that. I love that film although I haven’t seen it for years. And Dead Calm!

Is this the future of IOMB?

A throbbing 32-piece band of masked chaos invites you to dissolve the
performer/audience divide and melt into the bedlam, that is the
disorienting power of itchy-O. The itchy-O Marching Band (IOMB) is a
Denver-based percussion-centered electronic marching band. itchy-O
brings a sophisticatedly savage sound and the sheer ecstasy of
instruments untethered and running free. With a driving drum corps
battery, Taiko drummers, an arsenal of electronics including
synthesizers, theremin, vocoders, and many other special devices, the
IOMB completely engulfs and immerses an audience from every angle in a
pounding electric bog of music, ephemera and spectacle. The masked and
hive-minded IOMB is waging war on predictable mediocrity with their
blind-siding-style performances which feature an artfully hazardous
Chinese lion, a troupe of sensuous dancing provocateurs, fog, strobes,
sequins, sweat and fury.
[Emphasis added]

hat tip to @tropo for bringing them to my attention over in the Awesome Song Thread

Cars + firepower = obvious fun. I wonder why this isn’t a more common action trope.

Me, I’m still waiting for a good visual adaptation of Car Wars. All those 80’s-future designs and weird post-apocaliptic world have gone full circle from looking pretty cool, to looking quaintly dated, to looking ironically cool again and very distinctive, to who knows what anymore. Are they still plundering every bit of 80s culture for IP reboots and such? I lost track.

Heck, I’d be perfectly happy a decent Interstate '76-ish video game set in that world. Or even a good Interstate '76 sequel of any sort. Don’t get me started on '82.

I had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to see the talking pig movie. But y’know what? Babe is excellent. Far more entertaining than you’d think.

Still can’t be bothered to see the dancing penguin movie, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.