MAD's 1969 "Super Patriot" is MAGA before MAGA was MAGA

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/06/mads-1969-super-patriot-is-maga-before-maga-was-maga.html

7 Likes

oddsbobs, i remember that very cartoon! and wondering even at the time why the “Very Rich” were among those whom he hated (being who he was).

12 Likes

Perhaps a combination of right wing populism (hate the rich to distract from the policies that enabled them to become rich, which you do not oppose) and antisemitism (think “Rothschilds”).

11 Likes

I first saw this when it made the rounds not long after we first got online (Oct '98). I immediately, gleefully re-/blogged it to stumbleupon. The teabaggers were then beginning their assault on American values and intellects.

11 Likes

I find it oddly heartening that this has been going on so long. I wish it weren’t, of course, but seeing that it was happening even then, and we’ve made it this far, it strengthens my hope that we’ll claw our way out of this current mess.

The write up also had me wondering, “wait, is MAD magazine the reason I’m liberal?” I loved that magazine as a kid. I’d walk all the way to the store (uphill both ways!) to buy it with my own meager allowance. I never considered its politics.

18 Likes

I’ve been rereading 70’s Cap America and Falcon and the two obvious storylines that are sadly relevant are the Hidden Empire and Kirby’s Madbomb saga. Many of these creators fought nazis first hand 30 years earlier and were still fighting them in their art. It’s crazy reading this stuff because it nails the current political right 100%. Same BS beliefs and traits as always.

9 Likes

There’s something fitting about conservatives not having changed in 60 years. Also depressing.

7 Likes

Sadly true:

6 Likes

Also fitting - that they cannot now and seem to never have been able to do humor.
We have MAD Magazine, Funny Times, The Onion, and countless other humorous publications on the left-ish side of things.
As far as I know the conservatives don’t have anything similar.

11 Likes

I think Babylon Bee is supposed to be funny

11 Likes

This was written by a human being. His name was Frank Jacobs and he was the most published writer in MAD history, including legendary song and poem parodies. Find his book.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.