'MAGA mail-bomber' Cesar Sayoc: Trump was 'my new found drug' and I was also on steroids

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/23/maga-mail-bomber-cesar-say.html

Cesar Sayoc, the man who pleaded guilty to mailing explosives to Trump critics and the press, says in a new letter that he “was on the front lines of war between right & left.”

3 Likes
13 Likes

extensive steroid use likely affected his mental health

Well, that probably explains a WHOLE lot of folks who are performative right-wing figures (yes, I’m looking at you Alex Jones… don’t you walk away, you big doof)

17 Likes

Donald Trump is a hell of a drug.

16 Likes

Just say NO.

22 Likes

Keyser Söze?

2 Likes

so he is saying that the bomb wasn’t even loaded ?

Clearly this guy would be crazy to drive a foreign-made vehicle. If the van was made in Ontario, you must exonerate-oh. (spoiler: it was)

1 Like

Point of order: the original “twinkie defense” cited health-food-nut Dan White’s newfound love of junk food as evidence that White had been experiencing a mental breakdown (and thus was not responsible for his actions), but did not cite junk food as the cause of said breakdown. Less “the twinkies made me crazy!” than “would a sane man eat twinkies??”

Which was of course still a pretty weak-ass defense.

15 Likes

“Would a sane man venerate Donald Trump?”

14 Likes

That’s certainly the strategy I’d go with if I was his lawyer.

9 Likes

So if I got this straight, the lawyers are saying

1. He’s not responsible for his actions due to being mentally unsound

And

1. The court shouldn’t have his mental soundness tested because we know it was all entirely due to 1 or 2 known factors and not actually a biological brain problem he wouldn’t be responsible for.

I wonder how often that works?

7 Likes

Sez Wikipedia:

According to an eight-state study, the insanity defense is used in less than 1% of all court cases and, when used, has only a 26% success rate.[4] Of those cases that were successful, 90% of the defendants had been previously diagnosed with mental illness.[4]

Sounds like a pretty desperate hail-Mary defense strategy unless his lawyers can pony up evidence of a prior diagnosis. In the United States even people who have genuine, clear-cut cases of mental illness often end up doing hard time (with little or no access to mental health care).

11 Likes

What galls me is the claim of insanity combined with arguments against getting any kind of diagnosis.

“he’s insane, trust us”

5 Likes

Yeah… that ain’t gonna fly as a viable defense, methinks.

4 Likes

13 Likes

I wonder which drug keeps performative right wing figure Donald J. Trump awake and tweeting at 3 am.

1 Like

That would be the widely experienced cocktail of crushing insecurity and chasmic self doubt. We have all dabbled, but that guy’s been mainlining it for decades.

Confident people do not behave the way that man behaves.

4 Likes

If the prez is a shit, you must acquit.

4 Likes