MAGA Mike does not commit to certifying the election

It’s the new Congress that counts the electoral votes on January 6, not the old one (though of course the “old” Vice President presiding over the Senate). There’s an excellent chance the Speaker will be Jeffries, not Johnson.

7 Likes

Sure. But, but the Speaker doesn’t have any more influence on that vote in the House than anyone else does. They vote by state delegations. Which probably still won’t bode well for Harris, but Mike Johnson won’t have anything to do with it any more than any other Republican Representative. Also, as pointed out above, assuming Democrats retake the House, the Speaker by then may well be Hakeem Jeffries.

I don’t think it will come to that, though. I’m pretty sure the Harris team already has teams of attorneys in place, with lawsuits already drafter, ready to be filed on November 6 if those states you mentioned are delaying the counting of votes, and, later, the certifying of results. And I remain oddly hopeful that Harris will win by such a large margin that none of that will matter. I don’t think we’re done seeing absolutely batshit stuff coming out of the Trump camp. I think he’s going to do or say something in October that starts turning off even his base. I also have a sneaky suspicion the Harris camp is sitting on a GW Bush endorsement that he will go public with in October.

9 Likes

All of this, plus the Secretary of State/Lt. Governor of those states are ultimately responsible for their state’s elections. In Georgia, Raffensperger has already well established his integrity. Michigan, Arizona, and Nevada all have Dems in that position. Pennsylvania’s is a Republican but was appointed by Democratic governor Josh Shapiro, so is unlikely to be a RWNJ.

5 Likes

From your lips to the voting booths! I’m worried that any lawsuit filed by Harris will be met with continuous opposition from MAGA lawyers until it reaches the Supreme Court. And we all know how 3 of those guys got their jobs. Maybe Biden can use some of that absolute power bestowed upon presidents to save us from utter chaos.

3 Likes