MAGA scammers try to suppress Black vote, get fined $1 million instead

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/09/intellectually-challenged-maga-scammers-try-to-suppress-black-vote-get-fined-1-million-instead.html

14 Likes

28 Likes

They thought that by including their actual names in the robocall, they’d escape prosecution?

13 Likes

They thought being white MAGAs would allow them to escape prosecution.

22 Likes

Reading this, is the same modus operandi as the one used against a left wing politician here in my country. Autodialers, robocalls, sexual violence allegations. Matches hair by hair. Identical MO.

12 Likes

I just realized I had not heard those names in a while. It’s refreshing to hear them again…

…in the context of a court judgment

21 Likes

Does this mean Jacob Wohl has committed his big boy Federal crime now?

15 Likes

I’m kinda bothered that these two have $1,000,000 that they can agree to pay.

21 Likes

18 Likes

MAGA-world attracts a certain brand of proud ineptitude, but putting your names in the robo-call is some next-level-shit.

10 Likes

I’m more bothered that this hasn’t resulted in significant jail time.

13 Likes

I’m sure they’ve learned their lesson by paying (what for them) is a small fine, then going back to the business of dirty trickstering.

3 Likes

I’m not convinced that’s an actual person. Tamika is such a common girl’s name in the African-American community, and Taylor is such a common surname, and nowhere can I find any real linkage between that name and actual people with that name. So, my assumption is that they faked a Black woman’s voice to lie to potential Black voters.

8 Likes

I guess they’ll go back to the hipster coffee shop while they think up their next scam.

1 Like

I assumed as such, but was surprised Wohl and Burkman included their names in the robocall. Tamika may or may not be a real person, if she is real, it would be unsurprising if they misrepresented why they were having her read the copy. A similar robocall scheme deceived the voiceover artist.

4 Likes

Perhaps they started with Tessa Thompson and iterated until they had a name that was different enough.

Again:

Efforts to suppress the Black vote have been going on ever since Black people were first given the right to vote.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.