MAGA's dream shattered as Speaker Johnson stands against Putin's Ukraine invasion

Originally published at: MAGA's dream shattered as Speaker Johnson stands against Putin's Ukraine invasion | Boing Boing

3 Likes
6 Likes

When will Gaetz file the paperwork to remove him?

23 Likes

Season 2 Time GIF by American Gods

20 Likes

See Ya Puppet GIF by Gerbert!

7 Likes

HOUSE GOP TO FORESHORTEN JOHNSON

11 Likes

I imagine the blood dries as we speak.

2 Likes

That news write-up was just

Season 2 Nbc GIF by Will & Grace

So, recall vote next week then?

5 Likes

All of these republicans are self-serving grifters that care about their own money and power most of all. Once in the speakership there is a world of entrenched corporate money willing to put their weight behind them if they play ball. Johnson, Gaetz, and every single one of them would make the same pivot given the chance. Somehow a room full of selfish grifters are too gullible or naive to get that everyone else in the room is an unprincipled grifter too. :confused:

6 Likes

If it’s all the same to you I would like to retract my estimation that Mr Johnson will last as Speaker of the House until roundabout Easter.

7 Likes

Johnson is, in part, making a calculation between two types of anti-Semitism. He wants more funding support for Israel in order to fulfill the genocidal Xtianist dream that the End Times requires the Jews to be concentrated there and incinerated before Jesus comes back. I’m sure he also subscribes to the “America First” isolationist worship of Putin as a savior of white civilisation, but his religious fundamentalism makes the first goal the priority.

7 Likes
1 Like

All this crowing feels entirely premature to me.

If there’s one thing we’ve learned, it’s that the current crop of Republicans are more than happy to reverse direction, provided that their new course trends toward the increasingly vile.

So the fact that Johnson has been heard saying that he supports Ukraine doesn’t mean that he won’t vote in favor of leaving the Ukrainians twisting in the wind tomorrow, while pretending to be doing so for the best of reasons. Remember when Lindsay Graham was a Never-Trumper? Lindsay Graham doesn’t, but you might.

I don’t know whether this reliable reversibility is the product of peer pressure, threats of primarying, quiet bribery, or if whoever’s directing the Republicans has been granted open access to V. Putin’s awesome library of kompromat. Whatever the explanation, “say one thing and do another tomorrow” is now SOP for the GOP.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.