Make delicious umami tater tots

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/18/make-delicious-umami-tater-tot.html

2 Likes

Tater tots are charming because they look like tiny potatoes (kind of).

Is this an example of neoteny? No, that’s not the word … hmm, I can’t think of the word.

1 Like

We like tot-chos in our house…simply replace the chips with tots. In fact, I think I’ll make tot-chos tonight!

1 Like

I know umami is ‘savory’ sort-of, but I was hoping for something japanese flavoured to drool over. Can’t you sprinkle some seaweed or sesame seeds on it or something? (lol j/k, nice story friend)

1 Like

So, butter and nutritional yeast, or just yeast and salt, on popcorn? I was into yeast only, and have come around to yeast being the perfect accent to the butter.

butter + yeast + salt

2 Likes

You baked tater tots?

The nutritional yeast is where umami lives.

Isn’t that the title of a They Might Be Giants song?

3 Likes

Tony C’s is the BEST creole seasoning, says this Louisiana boy

2 Likes

It should be!

Nutritional yeast - which I call “Hippie Dust” - is an essential item in my spice rack.

2 Likes

I find just yeast (and salt) doesn’t stick well enough. I’ve tried EVOO and yeast, but that only helps a bit with the adherence issue. Haven’t tried butter and yeast though; maybe next time.

If you wanna get really, really deep and have some seriously insane popcorn?

Brown the butter, then add yeast and salt.

1 Like

Dude that would be so easy, too! 0.0

Add yeast and salt before putting on popcorn, or butter the popcorn first, and add the yeast and salt after?

I should just make this a post but here is what I do most nights:

1/2 cup popcorn into brown paper lunch bag. No oil. Fold the bag top over a few times.

Start to brown the butter.

Put bag in and energize your nuclear oven. Mine takes 4:20 seconds for this operation.

Pour popped popcorn in big mixing bowl

Shake about 1/2 the Nutritional yeast and 1/2 the salt I want to add onto the popcorn. Toss.

Pour butter over. Toss.

Add additional seasonings. Toss.

Watch Rachel Maddow

3 Likes

As opposed to what? Eating them straight from the freezer? You monster.

Also: Oh boy! A food topic! Finally, something we can all agree on …oh.

3 Likes

Isn’t an air fryer just a convection oven?

Anyway, why not just add a little MSG?

2 Likes

I had never heard of nutritional yeast. I’ll give it a go when I find some - likely overseas. For easy umami, my go to’s are: Vegemite for wet dishes, and MSG (ajinomoto) when sprinkling onto something dry.

They would probably be OK in poutine, too. Pou-tots, covered in brown gravy and cheese curds?

I have no issues w/butter on popcorn, but my go-to is tamari+yeast. Tamari applied from an atomizer to prevent the soggy is the way to go.

I want to get behind this Nutritional Yeast stuff, but the milk ingredient makes me step back. I have a low lactose tolerance, so I’m wary of the addition of dried milk in stuff.