Make taser-proof clothing with carbon-fiber linings

The steel one already is conductive, no need for carbon fiber.

Assuming that the barbs of a taser are embedded in your tissue, the carbon fiber would have to be a better conductor than the delightful salt broth that is your blood and/or plasma/serum. Iā€™d have to see some hard data to get me to believe that carbon fiber is going to have less resistance than raw meat.

Monster is my main source of stuff I wear around the house, but Pear Anjou
supplies most of my wardrobe. I find that Pear is much better at conducting the higher frequencies that modern tasers supply.

1 Like

And what if you are attacked by a man wielding a banana?

Nor will it help the law enforcement officials who chalk up every act of madness to bath salts.

Donā€™t tell the tin foil hat folks that they might be on to something.

1 Like

just look at the banana being wielded by a man? just, look at it?

first you force him to drop the banana, next you eat the banana thus disarming him.

Carbon fiber is an excellent conductor of electricity. I would need to see hard facts to convince me that raw meat is better.

1 Like

this is great!! BUT, how does this work legally? if you wear one of these things into an event that may or may not be illegal, or you participate in something nefarious, and then you are tasedā€¦ does wearing this count as ā€œresisting arrestā€?

How is this better than the much cheaper alternative of copper mesh?

Flop around and fake it if itā€™s the cops. Some guy tasering you to rob you or playing the knock out game - surprise, fucker.

1 Like

This is exactly why you should always taser people in the face.

5 Likes

There are vendors of conductive fabrics; I bought some from LessEMF.com for the purpose of some experiments with RFID/NFC shielding so I have first-hand experience with the parameters.

First, they tend to be somewhat expensive. But that apparently comes with the territory.

Some are quite pretty, with metallic sheen. Some are even nice to touch. Beware of those with nickel coating due to possible allergies.

I used the material for modification of military surplus gloves to work with a touchscreen phone (line the thumb with it, from both outside and inside, and sew together with conductive fiber to interconnect the contacts). Works like a charm.

A coat liner or an undershirt made from this material will do a perfect job for shortcircuiting electrical weapons. May even be somewhat cheaper than carbon fibers (check this claim).

If someone here has access to the equipment, please check if the materials could also act as a ā€œprivacy screenā€ against terahertz and xray-backscatter images. Theoretically they should at least significantly attenuate the signals.

1 Like

Why not take it a step furtherā€”use the current to charge your suit for a counterattack, like the ā€œIron Man vs. Thorā€ fight scene from The Avengers.

1 Like

From what I can find online, the electrical properties of carbon fiber seem to be highly variable, depending on the construction of the fiber. Versatile stuff, if you shop wisely.

Better is an excellent conductor of electricity. I would need some raw meat to convince me of carbon fiber.

1 Like

If carbon couldnā€™t conduct high-frequency output from a coil, cars that use distributors would not work. The center contact on a distributor cap is a carbon button.

Yeah, yeah, I know, you young pups all have electronic ignition in your zero-point energy auto-flivvers and donā€™t know what distributors and carburetors are. Just take my word for it.

If you are old enough to remember distributor caps, you might also remember these things:

Under each large brass screw is a carbon buttonā€¦ itā€™s the 19th century version of a metal oxide varistor.

Not to mention that tons of motors use graphite brushes, but the question is which conducts better meat filled with a saline solution or carbon?

Having trouble digging up any studies that would give hard data.

Well, I know human bodies definitely will conduct the same kind of juice that the two devices I posted above are intended to conduct. Believe me, I know!

Anyway, remember, weā€™re talking about high frequency here. How much juice you can push through human tissue is quite variable depending on frequency. See for example this. The juice I run through the brushes in my electric tractor is just flat DC, and AC motors are typically brushless, so motor brushes might not be a good model for this.

But I am not going to pretend to have significant expertise in this area! I know some folks here (prolly @RossinDetroit, for one example) do understand high freq, though. Maybe theyā€™ll chip in.

1 Like