Make your Keurig as messy as a French press and as tasty as motel drip coffee with this reusable plastic k-cup

I’ve had it for years, and it’s never given me a problem. Of course, I don’t don’t drink a pot or two a day, but modern disposals are pretty rugged. I put this one in myself, and the instructions on it said coffee grounds, eggshells, and other such things are fine as long as you have a decent flow of water while you’re running the grinder.

1 Like

My daily go-to as well.

I also have a Chemex, same principle. The chemex makes better coffee, but it’s more hassle and the filters are far more expensive, though much more realistically re-usable.

1 Like
1 Like

As long as people give unsolicited Keurigs as Christmas presents, the search will continue.

1 Like

Melitta make sets with up to a nominal 10-cup carafe, actually about 5 good-sized mugs. If that’s not enough, you could get another smaller cone to set on the thermos and do both at the same time. One of the advantages of brewing directly into the thermos is that the coffee starts out as hot as possible.

3 Likes

Melitta and Chemex are my friends <3

2 Likes

-5 hours?

Don’t know how you manage to make a mess. I’m messy, and making it half asleep, and still don’t manage to make a mess. I LOVE my Aeropress! I can put in toast, put a cup of water in the MW to heat, and the coffee will be done before the toast is. Do you use the “upside down” method, standing it on the plunger then putting the cap on after you pour the hot water in? I’m only on my second, and it’s at least 3 years old. The first got crazed plastic, but I hear they fixed that.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve lived in my house for a decade and never had to call a plumber despite putting coffee grounds down the disposal regularly. @MadLibrarian must be used to some bad pipes or bad disposals.

2 Likes

I’ve had mine about 2 years and had to replace the rubber end on the plunger after about 8 months - I think it had been sitting in the store for a few years before I bought it and the rubber had already deteriorated and hardened. I’ve made coffee by the inverted and regular method and have no problems with a mess. There’s no wear on the tube and I never have any leakage anywhere.
The instructions tell you to disassemble and clean the AeroPress immediately after use; it makes a big difference in the life of the rubber component.
AeroPress coffee is less bitter and has no silt like you get from even the best French press machines. I’m tempted to take it on holidays when we visit relatives but would get too much static over my ‘coffee snobbery’.

2 Likes

All hail the Aeropress!

2 Likes

Coffee grounds and our local yard dirt (all clay) is a magic garden formula. If you hit the supermarket Starbucks at the right time, they’ll gladly give you a HUGE pack of their used grounds.

PS: I didn’t realize that sounded like I was nagging YOU to go get the Starbucks used grounds - I meant so many gardeners here actively seek them out that there’s an entire system to redistribute them. …let me know if you need any secondhand horse poop…

1 Like

I need a whole pot though! Two cups each for two people plus coffee in the thermos for later! It’ll take me all day to do all that with a pour-over.

Check out Chemex filters and pots. I used to use Chemex filters in a filter funnel to brew coffee by the gallon at an all-night campground coffeehouse. Had several funnels, would brew into two or three glass gallon jars at a time, depending on volume, then dump the results into large propane-fired water-jacketed urns for dispensing.

The fun part was grinding all that coffee with no electricity. (-: What I really wanted was one of those big hand-cranked flywheel grinders like in old-timey grocery stores, but working examples were gruesomely expensive.

I just stick with instant. Before I’ve had my coffee I’m not ready for all the fancy arcane rituals with complicated appliances that most people go through for their coffee. Besides, most of them end up making it way too scalding hot. And with instant, there’s zero cleanup afterward. No need for filters or k-cups or descaling. Just make your drink and drink it, no nonsense.

You put the grounds in a cup and pour on boiling water. Then you wait for the grounds to sink to the bottom. Perfect brewed coffee. Or are you only in it for the paraphernalia?

1 Like

I have yet to see Americans talk about the Senseo system, with its paper filter pods. Still more waste than I like with the foil packages and each pod in filter paper, but still a lot less than a Nespresso style machine uses.

That Melitta is good, but a bit bulky for travel. In the field, I use one of these. It brews weak coffee if I use it by itself (either I grind fine enough that the coffee winds up muddy, or the water runs through too fast). But with a paper filter, it’s as good as the Melitta, folds flat, and weighs about 15 grams.

1 Like

Ah, aka cowboy coffee. Got it. That’s our method on canoe trips, but brewed in a kettle. I usually pour it into the cups through a fine mesh tea strainer*, though, because we are civilized human beings, not wild beasts.

Damn, maybe I am addicted to paraphernalia. Perhaps a mustache would work.

*(8 grams)

Can’t abide instant. I’ve made real coffee over a spirit lamp on a ledge on a mountainside and on a remote roadside while attending to (someone else’s) car accident in a blizzard, and at home in subzero weather during a five-day power outage.

(ETA a superfluous ‘and’ because otherwise it reads confusingly)