Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I’m tempted to have a little Feuerwasser myself.

10 Likes

Redbud blossom simple syrup:

22 Likes

As in the North American native shrubby tree redbud (Cercis canadensis)?

The one that looks so pretty for 5 minutes in spring bloom, them produces seeds with ridiculously high germination rates, so that I have 800 gazillion volunteers trying to take over my yard every year?

11 Likes

That’s the one! A lovely native tree when it’s full grown and in good shape, but otherwise an annoyingly prolific and weak-wooded pest. We live on Redbud Ln. (really) and I chainsaw 3 or 4 of these things every season

10 Likes

The flowers are kind of woody in taste, but after boiling, steeping, and sweetening, they’re pretty good in a seasonal cocktail

8 Likes

I haven’t tried any of these myself but are they the kind of thing you’re looking for?
https://emby.media/
https://jellyfin.org/ (open source fork of emby)
https://www.plex.tv/

6 Likes

I had never even realized that the blossoms could be used in such a manner. Too bad they don’t last very long!

4 Likes

Very promising! Thanks for the suggestions

3 Likes

COVID-19 plastic canvas

26 Likes

Hope I’ll remember this next year when they’re in bloom. Redbuds are already leafed out and making seed pods here.

7 Likes

I was using Subsonic.

5 Likes

I’m helping my brother with making a common walnut and black epoxy coffee table. The resin is already cured, and I’ll do CNC machining soon.

19 Likes

So the CNC operation is just to smooth and flatten the top?

Will there be another pour to add material to the bottom? It looks a bit weak in this pic, but I can’t tell how thick is that walnut or how strong is the epoxy.

3 Likes

Not only. After planing both sides I’ll cut a contour, then divide it into top part and “leg”. Both parts will be beveled and later joined so the “leg” will be perpendicular to the top and it’ll look like waterfall.
It is similar to this countertop and side panel:

It is about 50mm thick and after planing 40mm will be left. Epoxy is quite strong (i guess >20 MPa ultimate tensile strength, but I haven’t tested it), but has problems with creep so it can slowly deform and we will probably add a TIG-welded steel frame underneath.

19 Likes

That’s very attractive. Where do you get your black epoxy?

5 Likes

We use regular transparent epoxy that has no solvents and is rated for food contact, and we add a colourant. The colourants we use are ridiculously strong - 1 drop per litre already results in deep colour, and about 15 drops per litre result in opaque surface. We add just enough to get nearly opaque surface, but leave a bit of “depth”. PM me if you are interested in which specific products we use.

12 Likes

Here’s a better shot of my Vespa, now that I’ve cleaned out the garage a bit:

20 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Subsonic might just meet my needs and the price is right.

As someone else suggested, I really should have ripped to FLAC. I just might have to go back and re-rip my collection… Not like I don’t have lots of time these days…

4 Likes

My wife likes to use freshly ground flour for her sourdough, but her hand-crank grinder is slow and a pain to use. I welded up parts of an old bike and bunch of other scrap pieces to adapt it as this pedal-powered grinder, which is good for keeping homebound kids occupied and exercised.

image image

37 Likes

Ah, using child labor to mill grain. Just like the Wheel of Pain from Conan the Barbarian.

28 Likes