Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Beginning construction on the pademelon-proof fence for my veggie garden:

16 Likes

Pademelon fence complete, with bonus gate upcycled from a bit of scrap I found behind some bushes:

EDIT TO ADD:

The friendly neighbour donated a load of horse straw for my garden:

And purely by luck, my gate is exactly the right width to fit the trailer through:

…although it’s a smidgeon too close to the garden bed for me to be able to turn it and take it down to the other bed. But it’s easy enough to relocate the fence a few inches further out.

21 Likes

Setting up an outdoor movie theater for my stepson’s birthday.

The gear:

The generator is in my truck

Blower for the “blimpscreen”:

These boys really do not know how to pour a beer.

26 Likes

Starting to make some progress on getting the workshop organised:

Plenty of tools still to go, and I’ll probably be fiddling with the arrangement of things for weeks.

21 Likes

Big success, except for some kind of stupid iTunes copyright thing that prevented us from playing the main feature. So we watched music videos instead

18 Likes

Be careful with nonferrous foundry work, OK?
A friend went mad, had to be wrestled into the hospital (luckily nobody called the cops, we’re in the USA) and locked up for months. True story.
Reportedly, one of the doctors said if it hadn’t been for the arsenic in his system the lead and zinc would have killed him. He was hot-working bronze in the open air, not even melting it or working indoors.

13 Likes

20 Likes

Thanks for the advice. The copper we were using was from plumbing-grade pipe fittings, so hopefully it contains no lead, but I’ll do some research on safety before doing it again.

13 Likes

First cherry tomato of the season

22 Likes

This is for @NukeML sorry this took so long…was waiting on wifey to take photos. There is more than just these containers and planters, but you get the gist.

Bonus old brown dog…Piper.

23 Likes

Looks great! And some fine photography too I might add!

14 Likes

she is actually an amazing photographer. www.piperbrownphotography.com

She named the business after the dog. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I have some serious container garden envy! Also, that strawberry chef kiss.

My little 4-pot plot has been producing chard and spinach like crazy. The kale is just now starting to get big enough to harvest.

14 Likes

Swiss Chard grows incredible well for me. As do any lettuces.

Kale takes until mid July to be really good to go.

Peppers do well also, I actually put them in large containers this year. I also find the key to them is crowd them…they like to hug each other.

10 Likes

It’s been very windy here for the last few days, to such a degree that it brought down a chunky branch from one of my trees.

So, the scrap goes to the firepit:

Leaving the main branch to section up:

And seal with wax, so it dries without splitting:

Should make for some nice woodturning material.

21 Likes

Getting the wood storage tidied up…

EDIT TO ADD:

I just had my new oven and stove installed.

Now I have to position and clad it. I’m planning on raising the oven as far as possible and using this bit of leftover benchtop to make a shallow shelf underneath for baking pans etc.

It’ll be surrounded and supported on the inside by cheapy pine that I’ll stain to match the drawers, and the front will be clad with cut-down timber from the doors that were previously there.

16 Likes

My first time growing hollyhock flowers. I didn’t realize how tall they would get, nor that they wouldn’t bloom until the second year. )7 hours later)

19 Likes

In the garden. Purple Asian long beans are getting - well - long! 30-45cm now, may be 60cm when filled out. Also growing purple pole beans, black radishes and purple tomatillos.
And peppers. We got peppers!

More on those peppers when they start to show some color!

21 Likes

Oven in position, just waiting to do the cladding:

And the first shoots (radishes) from my new garden:

16 Likes

Nearly there; just need to shave a few millimetres from the side of the opening, fix the top bit and screw it all in place.

17 Likes