Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Blech followed by blech.

I feared it would involve serious gear. At best the house is around 78-80° until late November.

6 Likes

Well, maybe it’s time to get into distillation then? Pick a yeast that works for your temperature, then distill the wort into the spirit of your choice!

9 Likes

Still haven’t dented the limoncello I made back in…April? Honestly we should probably be using it on our hands.

Speaking of which, wife found a “but as much as you want!” hand sanitizer bin at Target. Didn’t need much but she got some: must have been made at a repurposed mescal plant because it smells just like washing your hands on tequila.

12 Likes

Throwing a quickie stool together:

Made from cheap construction pine 4x2s (and a little bit of scrap dowel). All done with handtools apart from drilling the mortices.

20 Likes

Garlicly pickle slices, lacto ferment. Cucumbers from a neighbor’s garden.

Recipe calls for 2 heads of garlic! I hope they turn out. I’m new to this.

22 Likes

Expert supergluing job here by yours truly.

17 Likes

29 Likes

We’re getting our property ready for construction, so more in the “unmaking” stage than making at the moment. I managed to drop a 14" diameter maple with a cheap-ass 16" chainsaw. Only my 3rd tree and by far the largest, and I dropped it right where I wanted it (the other way would’ve been on a county road…) It broke my heart to take down such a majestic beast, but due to sightlines and drainage it was right smack in the middle of our only viable future driveway.

17 Likes

First coat of linseed oil onto the stool:

Just gotta wait for it to soak in then top it off with some varnish.

15 Likes

Chop it up into manageable sections, seal the ends with wax and stash it in the shed for a year to dry. You need to get it sealed before it cracks (which may only take a day or two).

You could make some lovely stuff out of it, and it’s nice to be able to say “this chair was made from the tree that used to be out front” etc.

17 Likes

Does any old wax do the job or is there something preferred for the job? I have a lot of unused scented candles laying about that could be put to use.

Wow that sounds sad. (For sale: Scented candles - never used)

12 Likes

Any old wax will do, but it’s usually cheapest to buy big blocks of paraffin. A cheap old electric frypan is good for melting it in; just get it liquid and dunk the ends of the wood, then let it solidify and live in the frypan between uses.

18 Likes

Does linseed oil help you to move a stool?

Move over Hemingway!

9 Likes

I’ve been getting back to turning wood on my footpowered lathe. Really enjoying figuring out a shape that I’m chasing. Though the quality of some of the wood is mildly problematic.

29 Likes

Pickles are coming along nicely. Good amount of bubbles and no floaters. Plus another basil flower arrangement. Thai basil and purple basil this time, with a sunflower I’m hoping He Who Eats Plants (cat) will not notice and eat. I checked for toxicity just in case.

16 Likes

A couple more map goof-offs.

India, the Himalayas, the Arabian peninsula, and the Horn of Africa, along with bathymetry hillshaded

Areas surrounding the North Pole including ocean floor, shaded relief

13 Likes

Stool all finished:

It’s light enough to effortlessly carry in one hand, but still thoroughly stable and sturdy. Now I have something to sit on while I’m taking my boots off in the mudroom.

I’ve been having lots of fun with handtools lately, so I made a shooting board to go with my new plane:

20 Likes

Duplicating the Chick Vault seen in this video. In a few hours we should have one on each side of the coop.

10 Likes

from the garden. the peppers are in! habaneros, red chilies and a few jalapenos (more on the way!)

time to make my own recipe Florida Man Fire ™ hot sauce
“it’s stupid hot!”

25 Likes

Pretty!

We’re growing thai basil this year and have been making (and freezing what we can’t eat) thai basil pesto. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend! Amazing with rice noodles and some shrimp or veggies. Just like genovese pesto, but sub out peanuts for pine nuts and sesame oil for olive oil.

14 Likes