Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

After a few instances of failing to notice front-door visitors while I was pottering around the back of the property, I decided to buy a doorbell.

Then I realised that it was bloody stupid to spend money on electronic crap when I am perfectly capable of making a nice loud doorknocker for myself.

So:

And I also made myself a mandril so I can have a go at making wooden rings.

20 Likes

1CAD2208-C2CC-46F9-A087-BB780DD5C2CB

17 Likes

The shape of the door knocker has a certain, je ne sais quoi?

16 Likes

What knockers!

14 Likes

i-is it supposed to look like a dong?
does it make a “dong” noise when you strike it?
; )

8 Likes

Oglaf (NSFW)

16 Likes

Never even occurred to me; my sense of humour doesn’t work that way. Form follows function.

It’s somewhat less suggestive in person; the striker part is fairly rectangular.

12 Likes

I don’t understand what any of this means.
what does it do that a standard internal combustion engine doesn’t do?
photos or videos?

3 Likes

That was bizarre. I’m surprised there was no mention of zero-point energy.

Looks like someone cleaned it up.

2 Likes

Made from a branch that fell from one of my eucalypts.

19 Likes

These wooden rings are quite easy to crank out once you’ve got the knack:

And each one only uses a poker chip sized slice of wood, so you can make a lot from a little.

Doing different sizes just means changing the drill bit for the initial hole:

…and/or sanding a bit more or less.

I may start mass-producing them to sell at the craft store.

17 Likes

You could make all the rings the same size instead, and just whittle down the fingers to fit. That way you wouldnt have to change drill bits!

10 Likes

Harmonically programmed radio station.

In an attempt to stand-out whilst hunting for coding work, I’ve started an experiment in harmonic music selection on a 24/7 streaming station. I’ve a background in radio and festivals, and a massively eclectic music library, so wanted to see whether I could get a scheduling system to blend tracks without genre/era/chart position rules, and no hands-on involvement from me. No ads. No breaks. No politics.

Shoutcast: https://streamingV2.shoutcast.com/midtempo

I can’t find anyone doing similar. If anyone is aware of a comparable stream I’d love to know…

Chris

7 Likes

I’ve been doing a bit of product testing beforehand.

The rings are tough enough to cope with normal daily wear; however, they are not tough enough to cope with leaving them on while using a shovel or swinging a hammer.

Poot.

I might look into adding inlays to toughen them up.

14 Likes

Or possibly hoop earrings…

13 Likes

Hey everyone. The Jersey City Art & Studio Tour (JCAST) will be held virtually this year from Oct 1-4. But some artists, including my lovely wife, will still be opening their studios to mask-wearing art lovers here in Jersey City Heights.

It’s a small exhibit, but if you find yourself already in the area, stop on by for a socially distanced glass of wine from noon-6pm. There is some street parking, it’s a mile from JSQ, a refreshing two mile walk uphill walk from the Hudson River, and 2 blocks from many PABT & JSQ buses.

JCAST site // personal site // DM me on twitter with questions

8 Likes

couldn’t decide where to post this, so here goes.
having posted pics from the garden here before, here is a wild addition to our garden caretaking - dragonfruit is blooming now (September). the cactus is very old and grows up this massive, old wild tamarind tree. we carefully hand-pollinated these with cotton swabs as instructed by an old-timer, in hopes of securing some dragonfruit before the actual dragons (iguana) get them!

19 Likes

My herb spiral. I have 2 sage plants, and lots and lots of parsley that I’ve been using all summer, and there was some out-of-control chamomile. Everything else either didn’t come up or died.
ETA: and the dry wall building didn’t fully succeed, as can be seen to the bottom right. Once everything’s harvested, I’ll redo it.

Maybe next year. There better be a next year, because I need to email Burpee about the lack of vigor and tomatoes on the patio cherry tomatoes plant. The other two, both paste types, have grown big and strong, but someone/something keeps stealing the ripe tomatoes from our plants. Also, it’s a late tomato harvest almost everywhere. There are also two volunteer tomatoes; you can see one behind the spiral to the left of the gladiola. I think it might be a purple cherry, but we’ll see. If I get any!

14 Likes

I’ve been having issues with rodents attacking my tomatoes. Last year I lost about half my crop. This year I set out rodent traps which worked pretty well.

10 Likes

Parsley, check.
Sage, check.
What about rosemary and thyme?

14 Likes