Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Here are relevant parts of TOS:
“By submitting User Content, you grant us an unlimited license to use your content in any way we choose.”
Linking is defined as submitting user content too:
“Anything that you submit or make available on our discussion forum or elsewhere on our site is considered “User Content.” This includes comments that you write, as well as items that you upload or link to, like images, videos, graphics, audio files, text or other works.”
Here’s the TOS page:

edit: Here’s how the user content clause should typically look like (cited from FurAffinity):

When you upload content to Fur Affinity via our services, you grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right and license to use, host, store, cache, reproduce, publish, display (publicly or otherwise), perform (publicly or otherwise), distribute, transmit, modify, adapt, and create derivative works of, that content. These permissions are purely for the limited purposes of allowing us to provide our services in accordance with their functionality (hosting and display), improve them, and develop new services. These permissions do not transfer the rights of your content or allow us to create any deviations of that content outside the aforementioned purposes.

2 Likes

IANAL. If you are going to share your own created content online anywhere, make sure you know what rights you give up first to the parties who host it. If in doubt, do not share it.

8 Likes

I read that myself, thanks, but I don’t think it’s that cut-and-dried. By that metric, doesn’t any excerpt from a public official’s speech, book reviewed, or video clip posted in an article become BB’s property as well? IANAL either, but there are most likely some limits to that blanket statement.

That having been said, there’s always a risk in putting one’s work online. I’ve heard more than one artist complain about seeing their art stolen and sold on t-shirts and merchandise by unscrupulous companies. Not all of them have been able to stop that theft through the courts. So being cautious isn’t the worst idea.

I have to ask: is there a reason why you think the people behind the BBS would do such a thing?

ETA forgotten words

6 Likes

I think it’s just a very broad statement intended to avoid liability for user content. I’m pretty sure there are no bad intentions on the side of BB owners.
The problem is what happens if BB is sold to some company who will decide to ruthlessly monetize everything it can?
I make digital art, but never share it here (altough I’d love to be able to do so), because I wouldn’t like to have problems because of it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the answer! It’s a situation I’d never considered.

4 Likes

At which part of the curriculum does the petrol canister enter into it?

6 Likes

Why not? This is perfect!
Or did you mean it won’t have one leaf blower for propulsion?

5 Likes

Two words: Twin. Turbines.

(Ok, yeah, they’re technically electric ducted fans not real turbines, but they’re more powerful than the leaf blower and will be easier to use in my thrust vectoring design for precision control of altitude and direction. Plus they look cool.)

18 Likes

Is that a Fairlane in the garage?

2 Likes

Close!

7 Likes

I love that Pig Pen leaves a dirty handprint.

2 Likes

OK, not something I’m working on yet, but I’m looking for some creative input. What to do with empty olive oil tins? These are the large 4 litre / 1 gallon size rectangular tins with thick, sturdy walls. They seem too nice to just toss or recycle. I have several of these. Besides planters, what can I make out of these?

8 Likes

pontoon boat

12 Likes

Steel cigar-box guitar?

12 Likes

The walls are nice for roofing birdhouses or other outdoor structures.

12 Likes

Got the new fans running on the prototype! I’m pretty sure they aren’t running at full power though- need to improve the power supply. But it works!

19 Likes

OK, that settles it. When this goes into production you need to skin the thing to look like a speeder bike from Return of the Jedi.

10 Likes

I’ve been cleaning up a Kelsey 5 X 8 letterpress for Mrs. F.

Then:

Now:

Pretty close now to making some test prints.

26 Likes

“You have to admire the generosity.” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Following the hovercraft project with interest, very nice!

5 Likes

I have mentioned that I am a woodcarver among other things, but never put up any of my work. So here is my latest, a sugar bowl and dough bowl intended for my youngest daughter as wedding gifts. Carved from chunks of a maple tree from grandma’s yard.

33 Likes