Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

monstertutorials.com and the corresponding YouTube channel are running a contest through March 15 to create a burlap mask. I’m working on a boar’s head complete with tusks.

6 Likes

I have also done far, far too many projects* with only a circular saw. I got myself one of these work platforms YEARS ago for $100 and it has been one of the best shop work investments ever:

It’s more versatile than clamping to a tailgate, since you can get all around it. This and a sawhorse has met all my circ-sawing needs. And it’s really handy for things like painting/plastering, letting you access more area without moving a ladder constantly. And it folds up pretty small, if space is an issue.

*I built this built-in behind the toilet with only a circular saw and electric drill:

19 Likes

In our workshop, we call these “fake-talls”

3 Likes

Fire art! Banged this together in a rush last weekend, for a public event tomorrow. All cut; no welds.

26 Likes

That’s a beautiful piece of work. I’d certainly be proud to poop there.

When I saw your link I ran outside to see if my “trick” aluminum ladder did the platform thing, but nope, just the one main hinge.

4 Likes

I read that as Aldi, and was just all “Wow, the future, man.”

2 Likes

Anything Lidl sells will pop up at Aldi a couple of weeks/months later, and vice versa.

4 Likes

This year‘s Pinewood Derby entry, family division is my interpretation of Kū—Hawaiian deity of forest, rain, fishing, war, sorcery and acceleration (that last one is new).

23 Likes

Nice! Is that all with a dremel and chisels?

3 Likes

Pretty much, I started the profile on a bandsaw but all the rest had to be cut by hand.

6 Likes

Oooh, bandsaw. That is the one thing I still lust for in my basic workshop set up. I love a good bandsaw.
Good luck at the derby!

4 Likes

Is @Otherbrother here? He usually does pinewood stuff too. I was searching for the “Zen garden” car on this thread, but can’t seem to locate it.

3 Likes

Yes, I am familiar with his work. :wink:

That was the car my wife made last year.

7 Likes

Cardboard, paper craft, felt toys for my toddler and making holiday decorations to take pictures of the toddler in front of. I made most of her kitchen set at the beginning of the pandemic, but here is the cute little knife block I finished not long ago. And here’s the Valentine’s mantle, I’m still working on St.Paddy day
PXL_20210214_050838209|690x388

5 Likes

Or, strangely, in the same week.

I have long held a suspicion that there is some sort of collusion going on between the two (and other supermarkets as well) when it comes to these sorts of specials.

Probably not directly, more a case of their Chinese suppliers telling them “we have a large order for this type of product; are you interested in selling it as well with slightly different branding?”

3 Likes

Oh dear that barn owl scream sure sounds a wee disquieting in the dead of night…

We have abundant Eastern screechies here and they are tiny, they “chuckle” in addition to the trilling sound (all at night), and we try to put up owl boxes for them but the boxes often end up colonized by bees–and usually, Africanized bees who are very very feisty. This is an annual occurrence and we have gotten better bee suits because Africanized bees are now utterly endemic here.

Turns out the height of a bee trap box and the height that the Audubon Society tells us to hang owl boxes (10+ feet off the ground) is basically the same. Haw!

Nice sounds of both kinds of screechies here, and the box building instructions:
https://www.audubon.org/news/how-build-screech-owl-nest-box

7 Likes

Time to start hardening off some of the more cold tolerant plants. My seed propagator is getting a little crowded.

I built a small cold frame out of waste materials, namely some scrap 2x4 and glass from an old patio door. The double glazing worked a little too well though with temperatures exceeding 100f (it’s only 50f today in Aurora, IL).

Thinning out the strawberry pack. I planted 10 strawberry plants last year. I’ve repotted about 70 offshoots (free strawberries anyone?)

15 Likes

Looks like you’re off to a great start! I wish I were nearby so I could take you up on your offer of free strawberry plants.

I’ve had similar experiences, and it was back when I’d be away from home more often. I started looking into these Heat activated ventilation arms but never went for it. Have you tried them?

7 Likes

Beautiful work! Don’t break the frame, though, or you might get executed!

9 Likes

Making another critter house. This one will be for solitary bees.

16 Likes