Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Construction adhesive like Liquid Nails could work – but check the label for adhesion to PVC. Run 4 or 5 beads lengthwise along the pipe, then wrap your rope. You don’t need to glue the entire length of the rope

7 Likes

E6000 is the go-to adhesive in our workshop.
YMMV.
ETA: that shit sticks glass to glass!

10 Likes

Alternatively, drill a hole near both ends of the tube, poke one end of the rope through, tie a knot, start winding tightly, and finish with a knot on the other end. No adhesive required.

17 Likes

Excited Ron Swanson GIF by Parks and Recreation

12 Likes

I used gorilla glue to stick garden twine (cotton/hemp/biodegradeable-whatever) to PVC on my garden bean project. Still sticking after being outdoors for 18 months. It does expand as it dries which was no big deal for a garden project. But the no-glue option described by @MrShiv would do the trick too.

8 Likes

Yeah, it sounds like it would work, but I think the knot idea would be better, especially if I needed to replace the rope at a later date.

6 Likes

while I’m here, allow me to share some experimental work in the studio. the mum got her new studio glass kiln and I helped her to set it up in the shop. first firing to slump some rods into a weave mould. these will be staggered to make “tunnels” where the peak of one form aligns with the trough of the next and so on. fresh rods will be inserted into these tunnels to create a woven pattern that then gets fired to a flat fused sheet that appears to be woven from glass.

these flat blanks with this pattern will become book covers for hand bound books showcasing some of my print work of hand cut block illustrations.
keep you all posted.

23 Likes

If you are going to cap the tube at all, make two holes directly across from one another. You can thread the rope through and put the knot outside. When it’s time to replace the rope, cut the knot to unwind the old stuff. Then thread a new rope ffom outside through the pipe to the outside. You can wrap the end in duct tape to make it stiff if you need to. That way you can get at the knot and make new knots even if each side of the pipe is sealed.

9 Likes

You might even drill several pairs of holes diametrically opposed at 3 or 4 places along the tube, shoot the rope through and continue winding on the other side. That way you’ll have a few more semi-anchored spots to help prevent kittehs from separating the coils. Or if you have enough rope, wind down from the top, through the bottom, then back upwards, forming a double rope layer.

8 Likes

I’d probably just use a PVC cap without glue & a friction fit. Easy to remove for animals with thumbs.

Something else to consider is these cats may not like the smell of adhesives.

8 Likes

Not at first, anyway.

9 Likes

Wow. I’m jealous of her kiln! And I can’t wait to see your finished product.

Since Covid-19, I haven’t been able to rent time at the kilns that I’ve used before. I need to at least get back to making some stained glass panels.

One of my last pieces

22 Likes

that is absolutely lovely! I love the colors and you’ve done an excellent job keeping the yellow strips from deforming and kept them straight. your mould is also very nice, did it have the foot portion already in it, or was that another firing?
really a beautiful platter! besides book covers, our favorite thing is little sushi dishes or knosh plates (small rectangular dishes to hold hors d’oeuvres and nom bits).

10 Likes

My go-to for gluing questions is the website below. It’s super-simple, just a drop-down for choosing “this” and “that” (substances to be glued together). So far, it’s always worked.

eta: but the no-adhesive ideas sound better for cats.

14 Likes

I love that site! It’s important to use the right adhesive

3 Likes

Or for another winding that will stay in place, you could try French Hitching (aka French Whipping).

It’s just a series of half hitches, each one heaved tightly against the last, that results in a rather decorative spiral around the core. Finish ends as desired.

A wrap of friction tape under the rope turns would make it less likely to slide on the PVC.

12 Likes

Thank you! Yeah, it was two firings: first the fuse firing on a flat shelf and then the slump firing.

I lucked out with everything working well together with this project. I did a bowl after that one and I swear there must have been an earthquake because the bottom is a bit off. I just started to do some kiln carving and then covid hit. (I like this technique because I can cut fiber paper off a pattern. It doesn’t matter that I can’t draw. :wink:)

8 Likes

I have new spice racks! They’re made out of cut-down corner shelves left over from the kitchen refresh after the new fridge last year. The cut-off spindle part was reattached to the back to stop anything from falling behind the fridge, the shelves were repainted, and installed with IKEA brackets.
Spice jars are recycled medical weed jars with fancy labels (half the jars and loan of the label-maker courtesy of the daughter).
They’re placed exactly where I wanted them, and it’s an otherwise unused space.

16 Likes

This is the best answer, and not just because it’s called…

Ooh la la!

10 Likes

It’s not what it sounds like. :wink: :wink:

5 Likes