Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Yay! When you get the pipes you’ll have to post audio files!

9 Likes

I love bagpipes! Have fun learning!

10 Likes

Stupid lockdown, at least it gave us time to do something.

I am quite satisfied how these front.opening boxes came out, there’s a minimum of cutting involved and they stack easily (the middle one has some unusual pink and black streaked pine planks I was glad to find). Also a holding rack for weights, but I keep not using them anyway… still useful when I have to glue parts together tho.

20 Likes

These all look great!
I’ve been thinking about making a holding rack for my weights (which I also use mainly to hold stuff down, lol). Did you have plans or just kind of wing it?

5 Likes

No plans really. I started with a triangle for holding the larger kettlebell in, then fitted four double hooks on the sides for the smaller dumbbells. It’s all short lengths of beechwood planks, 20cm wide and 18mm thick plus a lot of smaller pieces, held together with a bunch of wood screws so the whole thing doesn’t come apart.
It looks decent enough, the only thing left to do is to actually use the damn things. Ah well.

5 Likes

No pressure, obvs, but if you felt like taking a closer up picture of it with the (or some) weights removed, I’d be much obliged. It might give me some inspiration, and I’m just sure that if only my weights had a nice home instead of sitting on the floor, I would be much more likely to use them. :wink:

4 Likes

Let’s see, here’s a side view:

a side from below:

one of the hooks close up:

Hook

There’s no real joinery, just bits of wood contacting along planes and brutally screwed together.
Every hook is a small shelf, plus two lateral pieces poking out on which two “teeth” are screwed on from below, plus a “chin” underneath which takes some weight and allows the whole to be attached from behind to the side.
The more visible screw heads are recessed and covered with caps sawn from a round dowel of the same diameter, then sanded down.
The triangular shape is fine for stability and provides a good support for the weights.
Have fun, but I find that even if everything looks fine and orderly now, the will to exercise does not go up noticeably. Laziness will not be denied!

13 Likes

I figure making the rack counts as a little bit of exercise, anyway :wink:
Thanks for the follow up!

6 Likes

Some harvesting in the garden today.

Onions drying

After a week of drying I french braid them and hang them in the basement

Carrots bundled in one meal bunches

Volunteer squash.

Tomatoes

Pole beans

19 Likes

Cookie the dog likes to snack on the Pole beans!

18 Likes

Yum Yum GIF by WDNK

14 Likes

so do I!
our garden went to hell this year. it was a horribly dry spring (spring kinda starts in February here). we got an early start and we got purple pole beans in May, some long beans, then - nuthin.
the greens did well in their shady bed, but only with lots of hand watering. peppers are all still producing well and should go into the fall, but again, we have to supplement watering due to a woeful lack of precipitation. still, no aubergines, no squash, none of the faves we were very successful with in seasons past here.
ETA: fruit trees did well, tough they are still young. we did get mangoes, avocados and carambola (starfruit). the carambola should continue to produce well into fall. we will have some Jamaican blue “ice cream” bananas come October, so not a total loss.

11 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

I have a sprinkler that kicks in in the evening. I also have drip irrigation for another bed. It’s mainly because I travel so much and need a reliable watering system.
20210731_182550_2

14 Likes

I wanted to turn a new outfeed roller for the planer I’m rebuilding but I discovered that the power feed on the Logan wasn’t working. The clutch wasn’t engaging correctly, so I removed the apron from the carriage:

Disassembled the clutch:

Discovered that the clutch springs had somehow come out of the spline shaft and taken up residence on the pressure plate:

Re-seated the springs:

Reassembled and tested. Success!

Logan Power Feed Repaired

19 Likes

Garden veggies from today:

Pole beans, pickling cucumbers, eggplant, acorn squash, regular cucumbers, zucchini (two kinds), various tomatoes, various peppers!

All the corn has been destroyed by squirrels. I guess I won’t be setting that again

20 Likes

I found these two broken metal chairs on the curb. Sanded and stripped, paid my welder pal $25 to repair, and repainted. Not bad!

Son ignored “check brakes” light for months… Not good!

18 Likes

Wow! I’ve been endurance racing for 15 years and have never seen a disc that badly worn. Right through to the cooling fins! Impressive! :sweat_smile: It must have made a hell of a racket every time they stepped on the pedal.

11 Likes

From the looks of it he never let off the pedal :wink:

10 Likes

By the time he rolled it into my driveway, nearly busting down the garage door, it wasn’t squealing anymore. I think that happened a few weeks ago and he never told me. The front calipers are also borked and the pedal is going to the floor – I’m guessing most of the fluid drained out, and only the rear wheels provide any braking at all at this point. I’m replacing everything but the primary cylinder

I’m both impressed and appalled at this damage.

8 Likes

Quick question for the crafters…

Is there a glue or epoxy that I can use to adhere hemp rope to a pvc pipe? I’m making some stuff for my cats, and got a free piece of drainpipe to use for a scratching post, if it works.

8 Likes