Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Today I got a (very) early birthday present from Lady Immutable. She’s a wizard with a sewing machine and her taste in fabric… chef’s kiss

21 Likes

That fabric is fantastic! Men’s shirts are deceptively difficult to sew well and she did a great job on it. Love the button choice.

9 Likes

Sometimes it’s easier to adjust the body to fit the shirt!

6 Likes

That is amazing! Some of those paisleys remind me of “the scream.”

6 Likes

Another year, another set of impractical and uncomfortable cardboard costume requests from the kids. Getting an early start this year.

24 Likes

Bite my grey plaid shorts!

7 Likes

After your comment I had to back and look again at the fabric and now, despite its groovy pattern, I know I can never wear it and take psychedelics at the same time. Too many sad/angry ghosts.

7 Likes

Better to know, right? :wink:
I thought that was an intentional part of the pattern, almost like a subtle-ish Day of the Dead themed. It’s awesome fabric.

6 Likes

I wish I could make my own clothes, and that well! at 6’3" but only 180lbs, nothing ever fits right.

5 Likes

My older son decided to be a doctor for Halloween.

20 Likes

Christmas stout brewing! OG came in at 1.078, so pretty heavy for an all-grain.

Cookie the dog photobombing the fermenter to get some scritches on the itchy spot

13 Likes

Patina on the Human Organ transport case contrasts nicely with the sparkly white lab coat. Perfect.

Have always been fond of how Cookie Monster’s spherical eyes have black movable centers, it’s an easy hack (I know Zoidberg’s eyes don’t have the same motion in Futurama but in case additional hilarity or weirdness is required IRL):

6 Likes

“Patina” is a nice way to put it but it’s actually just my son’s dirty lunch box. Hard to clean that material. The lab coat has seen a few Halloweens in different contexts and isn’t actually very clean, but that’s ok, given Zoidberg’s lifestyle.

9 Likes

I am living this.

We are the only humans in our extended families who do our own actual work, in part due to “treehugger-parents with offspring in college” syndrome. So all the pressure washing, scraping, sanding, patching, priming falls to me… crikey, my scaffolding is going to be the stuff of nightmares and I am completely paranoid about falling and having to go to the emergency room during pandemic-y Texas idiocy when it has maxed out capacity.

Since we are in a falling curve right now, I am actually planning to do some of the higher up, scarier work this weekend. I have no place to rope to on the roof, and the gable-ends are decomposing.

/same-same

I’d post the progress here but it’s anything but crafty or creative, and we haven’t started a “Drudgery, Toil, Putting-the-‘Moan’-Back-in-Homeowner” thread because why would anyone do that when there are entire web sites with forums for that already?

:roll_eyes:

ETA: grammar

10 Likes

Totally yoinking that! All those years of dreaming of owning my own place, and I never thought about all the maintenance!

10 Likes

My glorious begonia after a long summer outside.

15 Likes

It’s mid-October, and if you’re in gardening zone 4 or 5 you should be setting your garlic about now. Hardneck garlic had a moderate flavor but is the easiest to store. If you’re getting your garlic from a grocery store (Whole Foods) it’s probably a softness variety. But you grow them the same way. I am setting three varieties.

Garlic likes well tilled soil that is well drained.

Split up your garlic into cloves.

Set garlic cloves 6 inches apart, make a hole 4 inches deep, plonk in the cloves, then cover

Make sure you mark what’s what!

Once the leaves fall from the trees you can grind them up and put a layer of mulch several inches deep over the garlic to protect them from snow.

Garlic takes until the summer solstice to grow.

16 Likes

Bottled an IPA today. My son turns 21 in a few weeks and this will be his first beer, so it’s fairly mild.

18 Likes

You are the best dad ever.

Um, why not garlic beer?
Oh… never mind…

Happy 21st, young man over there.

13 Likes

Goddess Izanami finally installed

She’s been painted with moss and beer… Someday she’ll be green and mossy, maybe covered in vines.

17 Likes