Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I’m going to be looking for reflective insulation and foam for cushions in the near future.

While I’m thinking about it, it would be cool to hear from folks if they have links to their favorite sources for affordable building materials at the consumer level.

5 Likes

Habitat for Humanity resale stores are great for cheap building materials, if you live in the USA and have one in your area.

10 Likes

I’m just across the border from San Diego, so probably.

5 Likes

I’ve been making accessories for our family’s Halloween costumes. This one is “Mabel Pines’ Grappling Hook.”

16 Likes

Only 4500 more pieces to go …

16 Likes

Goddess #3 is [Xenia].(Xenia (Greek) - Wikipedia)

9 Likes

She’s going to be gorgeous when she grows in. You might consider finding a flowering native vine to add to your moss

8 Likes

We’re making a Christmas tree lot in the back yard. I was going to make these out of pallet wood but wood prices, while still high, have come down considerably so I used plywood. One sheet made 4 of these. They’re just over 4’ tall.

I’m also making a bunch of small ones for the garden. Those are made by ripping 2x4s into the slats

9 Likes

Update on my ongoing silk painting adventure. I painted the areas where I wanted ferns, then used resist to “stamp” real fern fronds onto the silk (sensitive fern).
You can see the fern impression, where the yellow/green spots are a little darker.

Then I painted over the whole thing with blue and purple:

It’s my favorite one so far.

23 Likes

That is super gorgeous! I’d pay good money for it. Please let us know if you go commercial. :wink:

10 Likes

Wow, thanks! Right now I’m just trading with friends for fun stuff like chocolate and homemade books and jams, mainly because one can only have so many silk scarves but I keep wanting to paint more.
I’m definitely the lucky one, because they are SO easy to ship, lol. I sent a little hanky to my friend in Germany for the same cost as a regular letter!

9 Likes

very nice

5 Likes

Afternoon all.

I need to replace the gaskets on these storage jars that I’ve had for over 20 years. Any suggestions as to what I can use to make them?

9 Likes

I found replacement gaskets online at BigEvilOnlineEverything.com.

Of course, that totally takes the fun out of the making…

Edit to fix link

8 Likes

Maybe a bike tire inner tube, if you’re really committed to DIY?

Also, looks like doggo thinks there might be something more interesting than flour in that jar :joy:

8 Likes

I usually make stuff like that out of sections of old bicycle innertubes split lengthwise and then cut circular. but that may be bigger than even an MTB fat innertube’s split expanse.

6 Likes

If you didn’t find a solution yet, search Amazon for gasket material or cork sheets. While you’re there get a circle cutter and you should be good to go.

6 Likes

Wrong approach. Throw everything away and get new jars from the Boing Boing Store!

8 Likes
4 Likes

Check the dumpsters where a commercial roofing job is going on, see if you can find some clean sheet neoprene. I have a big sheet of Hypalon® that I cut stuff like this from.

4 Likes