Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Maybe you could use a remailer service, e.g. in California? Some people in Hawaii shop mail-order products from the mainland that way because of all the idiot US companies that won’t ship to Hawaii or Alaska.

2 Likes

Very productive flight today.

I discovered that the plane does vertical loops without trouble, although it needs more aileron throw for snap rolls. I even managed a proper landing; skimmed in to the grass perfectly smoothly.

Then I took it back to altitude, and decided to test how well it glides when I throttle off. Answer: like a brick. The windmilling disc area drags the ultralight airframe to a stall very, very quickly.

Time to rebuild the firewall again. :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Try two of the fork. I ran into an issue when I did the decreases. I didn’t count on the factors of 92 being so difficult to work with and keep any semblance of symmetry. So, I’m going to try doing an increase from 92 to 96, a panel of fair isle, etc. before doing the decrease pattern I designed on the original.

12 Likes

Gorgeous color!

1 Like

Got about 6 weeks until Emerald City Comicon, so I figured I should maybe start my cosplay:

9 Likes

Thanks! I think the camera settings made it a little misleading (frankly, the case with 99% of my knitting photography … I try my best but I haven’t got it quite figured out yet). :slight_smile: That’s just the color for the ribbing though.

1 Like

Finally finished that hat I was working on.

I made the “slouchy” version of the hat, adding an extra lace round. I think it’s just a leeeeetle bit too slouchy.

I may throw it in the dryer for a bit and see if it’ll shrink a smidge. Hmmm.

Otherwise, I like the pattern!

19 Likes

By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!

1 Like

Mostly my wife’s work, but this was our “suck it, Hasbro!” in response to the lack of Rey dolls. (My daughter requested one for her birthday). I’m still working on the accompanying BB-8.

28 Likes

Finally managed to exceed the crashability limits on the Trainer; still not enough aileron throw for snap rolls…

No worries; it was due for a rebuild anyway. The layers of repair tape were starting to get a bit weighty.

8 Likes

One of these for the next one, methinks.

8 Likes

Ah, an elegant instrument for a more civilized age. A landline.

12 Likes

Something that works equally well during storms, power outages, and general heavy use times, and doesn’t drop calls or have so much static or delay that you can’t understand the caller?

Landlines are not entirely dinosaurs yet.

11 Likes

I just picked up the twin pack (P51 & Corsair). I already have a Corsair so I’m starting the P51 build first.

Re: ailerons - take them to the edge of the wing, that will give you better response & might be all that’s needed to get the rolls you’re chasing.

2 Likes

Alrighty.
I’ve been working on installing wall-mounted shelves in my new dining room, but it’s taking me forever.
I had to paint all the metal parts- that’s 7 x 100" of uprights and ~40 shelf brackets. That means de-stickering, sanding, painting (all the sides!) and finding a place warm for them to dry and cure. Great.
Shelves are built, but staining them is turning into a pain- the stain we got is really thick, and it’s a paint-on-wipe-off deal, and I’m not sure I’m liking it. In fact, I may abandon it and get something else. Then (after staining), I get to layer on polyurethane. In the winter. So that’ll be fun. But I need the freaking thing done already.
Ugh.
I’ve gotten virtually no other useful projects done in the meantime- besides tuning some of my bikes for (maybe) riding in the upcoming spring. I need to overhaul the suspension forks and whatnot before any really serious riding, too.
The list is too long.

6 Likes

Update: I made another accessory. With a super high-tech self-balancing mechanism even! (I glued some fishing weights inside a ball).

ETA: here are the two together. The birthday present was a hit!

22 Likes

Is this one of the little spore’s characters? Sure is one of my son’s favorites.

You use Testors paints? Well if you are not adding a clear coat that will last longer but such a pain to work with compared darn near anything else out there. Otherwise that some nice work.

New plane ready to go, maiden flight tomorrow:

12 Likes

The dress is complete:

Now to attempt a glowy Eye of Agamotto:

14 Likes