Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

That’s a great idea! I don’t need the whole barrel

7 Likes

Yep. When I had an intern working at Heaven Hill Distillery they had a huge pile of them. I took away a pickup truck bed full of them. (Friend was an Art Prof).

10 Likes

this is an arbor we fixed. all the posts had some rot under the trim, a few we had to cut whole chunks out and replace with pressure treated as shown. all other wood is cedar, here I’m fitting new trim

these posts are to put the guy’s bonsai on

the crib is on some champagne wishes and caviar dreams type shit. we’re going to do a mahogany wine cellar at some point.

13 Likes

something more modest for me at my new spot. had the lower ikea style shelf, couldn’t use the top of the toaster oven because it gets too hot. used some scrap ply, jammed caulk into the end-grain before paint. drilled out where it joins and glued dowels (a golf pencil from the lotto) into the top and then shaved down the exposed parts until they fit really tightly into where I drilled the lower shelf

12 Likes

It’s been a long project, but removal almost complete. It’s been slow going, because it turned out that some of the wall “studs” were not in fact nailed to anything except the wall boards. Once I discovered that I had to go a bit slower to make sure I wasn’t actually pulling the real studs apart. Hopefully I can finish tear-out this weekend and start the rebuilding process. The plumber says “Leave the iron stack pipe in place. Removing it is more hassle than its worth.”

[same wall before the wall boards were pulled out, with the dark “stud” still upright on the right. Turns out it was only attached to the boards. As were a few others.

13 Likes

Got the snowpeople up.

Bought some cheap led spotlights but they were too bright so I cut some neutral density film with the Cricut to tone them down. Despite what the camera says they’re really subtle.

The Cricut is one of the best tools we own.

The wife wants more snowpeople and some people asked how much.

8 Likes

Lovely work, but what?

Tina Fey Titus GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

But if you get people to buy them?

:thinking:

Probably not too soon for that!

7 Likes

They want me to make more and they will buy them. My wife wants more to put in the front yard. She will get some.

This summer I may knock off a bunch of stuff and hit some fall craft shows but whenever I start selling stuff I lose interest because then it’s like work.

15 Likes

true GIF by Shock Top

14 Likes

Your walls reminded me of our building experience 30 years ago.

The property where my house is has been in the family since 1936. My grandma and her sister, then my parents, and now me.

The house that was on the property was built in the late 30s and added to for the next few decades.

We checked with an engineer who told us the foundation could support a second story so we were just going to gut it and go from there.

Once we got it opened up, my gosh what a mess, huge bees nest between the studs but the biggest problem was many of the studs were not solid pieces of lumber. If a board was too short they just stuck another board on top. It’s amazing the house never tipped over but that’s how they did things back then with no money. Time to repair or put up a new wall just go find some wood and start building. It still had the knob and tube wiring in the attic.

The builder said for a few thousand more he could take it to the ground and rebuild from scratch. We used some of the old wood in the new house for sentimental reasons. We got away with not having to meet new zoning laws because technically it was a remodel on the existing foundation.

This is the day before it all went in a dumpster 30 years ago. I wonder how long from now it will be when our current house ends up in a dumpster. We are going to make the 100 year family owned property in my life time. I have all the original property records dating back to the late 1800s. One owner who bought the entire area from the federal government and split up into various lots and farms. The original deed is my safe deposit box.

This is sometime in the 50s with some of my family. There is still an outhouse in the backyard at this time.

15 Likes

We have a Cricut at our workshop. Although it’s a really useful machine in principle, in practice their DRM is so restrictive that it really hobbles it for more creative uses.

For just one example, I often build designs in Illustrator, then export to SVG, then import to Cricut. But once it’s been imported into “Cricut space”, the design can no longer be shared, because it includes an uploaded image that could have come from anywhere.

I’m still waiting for someone to reverse engineer the Cricut protocol, so that anyone that owns a machine can use it to do whatever they want within its parameters. But they love their walled garden.

I have similar complaints about other proprietary web-based design tools that are required to be used for certain equipment, such as Easel for X-Carve CNC routers. Dang it, I paid for the equipment, I should be able to use it however I want to, without some cockamamie additional fees! It’s like the inkjet printer ink cartridge scam.

8 Likes

I hear the Silhouette is much better with things like that. I have a friend with a business that specializes in vehicle wraps but he started with vinyl lettering.

He tells me there are some commercial tabletop machines that are better but they are pricey.

My next machine will be mattless. I do do quite a bit of lettering and htv stuff.

Unless it’s some simple text or shape I use Photoshop and then save as a png.

I have Illistrator but I never quite mastered it so it takes me a while to google whatever I’m trying to do.

I do know Inkscape a little better but for me Photoshop is easiest.

There used to be third party software for Cricut but they put the screws to that early on.

6 Likes

Somewhere an architect is sobbing quietly into their martini.

5 Likes

because of the house?

4 Likes

old, rotting gate

new gate, all pressure treated lumber

14 Likes

Yup. Your work is lovely.

But those rooflines…, that portico thing, the succession of tacked on extra buildings, the way the actually nice proportions of the pool are just not aligning with the house in any way, it’s a triumph and I’d be surprised if it hasn’t featured on McMansion Hell yet.

10 Likes

My mom got a new phone because her iPhone 6 was not holding a charge. I like getting a device that is assumed dead because there is no pressure about ripping it open to fix it.

I watched 47 YouTube videos and then bought a 20 dollar battery that came with all the tools.

I’m disappointed, it was extremely easy and took about 20 minutes.

I now have a spare phone in case an iPhone friend needs one.

I always forget to take picture when I do stuff like this.

11 Likes

15 Likes

Oh boy I spent way too much time wondering where the other five shoes went though

12 Likes

We are in the process of remodeling the 1890 house that my wife’s great-grandfather built. It never sold and has been handed down from generation to generation since. Hoping to not run into those kind of issues, but realistically, it was mostly DIY from the start. (The floor joists in the original part are trees, in the round, with branch stubs still there!)

10 Likes