Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Dr Strangelove__Doctor__Pick numer three_phixr

8 Likes

10 ft around, so about 3+ foot diameter, and 25 ft standing? I would have to say that is not a job for an amateur, and would require equipment most of us just donā€™t have. And cedar is brittle. Tends to snap unpredictably under load, so really risky to cut without proper safeguards. Iā€™m with @Mindysan33, finding a way to get professional help is probably the way to go.

10 Likes

Itā€™s good advice. Maybe if I can whittle it down it wouldnā€™t be as expensive to do the rest.

5 Likes

I think those are the ones that Mindy called arborists above. Most arborists these days seem to be keen climbers that have turned their hobby into a career

ETA: as a somewhat related aside: the instructional knots app I use has different categories for ā€œclimbingā€ and ā€œarboristsā€. It seems the two cultures have diverged enough that they even use different knots these days and publish them in different industry publications

7 Likes

No, but there is obviously an overlap. Arborists donā€™t work on cell towers (even those disguised as trees) or bridges or the Schwebebahn or whatever. Rope access technicians will climb anything that is reasonably static, and those who are comfortable with chainsaws also cut down trees.
My point was to widen the circle of potential contractors who might be able to help out Les here.

6 Likes

I see. Point taken

4 Likes

Btw, rope access technician seems to be the right terminology. At least according to the The Society of Professional Rope Access Technicians
(SPRAT).
Itā€™s a good thing they didnā€™t go with line access technician because that would have been an unfortunate acronymā€¦

10 Likes

Oddly related to the most recent previous comments (but maybe not really)ā€¦ apparently i will be dressing up as Paul Bunyan for Halloween this year. I donā€™t want to use one of my real axes for the costume, nor do i want to buy a plastic whatever for it, so i made a toy axe out of oak scraps i had lying around. It is sturdy enough i could probably use it for driving wedges while splitting logs etc. So by that standard I dont know if it is really much safer for a party setting than a real axe, but here you goā€¦

14 Likes

Itā€™s running! Possibly for the first time in 30 years or more.

Now that I know it works, Iā€™ll take it apart, strip, repaint, and replace or refurbish all the missing or rusted-out bits, bobs, boots, and bulbs.

18 Likes

Canā€™t wait to see it all finished!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been messing with this relict since May of the plague year, so it might yet be a couple years before itā€™s all shiny again.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Hereā€™s a song I wrote for my wife about the cheesy horror movies (and their charismatic star) we love so much:

It was supposed to be out before Halloween on digital platforms but ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ. Enjoy!

10 Likes

Almost time for Christmas decorations so I finished up the fence picket snowmen. All hand painted with stencils made with our Cricut. Iā€™m really getting the hang of stencil painting.

12 Likes

hahaha great!

1 Like

I must have been high when I bid $75 for this (empty) wine barrel in a silent auction at our local market.

But, it turns out these are actually hard to come by for ordinary folks, and $75 is a pretty good deal. This one was used for a display and was hanging from two long bolts, so there are four half-inch holes drilled into it ā€“ one is visible near the top, above the bung. Iā€™m still trying to figure out what to do with it, but I have a couple ideasā€¦

This is gorgeous but would require a second barrel:

Instead, I think Iā€™m going to try this:

Any suggestions? I donā€™t want to just cut it in half and make plantersā€¦

15 Likes

If you really want to do something fun you ought to get yourself a bunch of monkeys.

13 Likes

Youā€™d have to get at least one more for a race or youā€™d look silly butā€¦

6 Likes

YES! Of course I would need someone doing a play-by-play in that old-timey voice.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s great!

Tip for all: thereā€™s quite a bit of breakage when liquor is pulled from these barrels. If you live near a winery, brewery, distillery, or blendery, they often have piles of staves from broken barrels. They often give them away for free for the asking.

10 Likes