Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

6 Likes

the white oval ring was store-bought, but we made the rest and hung everything today. the client roughly photoshopped a picture of the house to show how she wanted it and we made it.

we had previously built the handrails and built the mock post on the house to match the existing one holding up the roof over the porch. today we cut the lower posts to the client’s specified height and placed the caps he bought on top. so now everything is ready for the painter.
these are the same people we built the long, white living room cabinet for.

14 Likes

Oh, that is lovely detail work! Great job by the whole crew!

7 Likes

Just for future reference, would you guys do a job in Tijuana? /s

7 Likes

we’ve gone from Atlanta to North Carolina and Florida before. I’ve never been to Mexico, so, y’know, why not?

8 Likes

What am I working on? I have been working on unique versions of ambiguous illusions, which change shape depending on the viewing angle (or when compared to its mirror image).

These illusions are based on Kokichi Sugihara’s academic research (published on Symmetry, the open access journal).

I am very happy that professor Raymond Hall from Physicsfun featured my work on a recent post: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyv03ZbJrKv/

You can see more of these illusions on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SkarabajoPuzzles/videos

12 Likes

Staffs are done (cartoon images for reference). Now I’m afraid to check if there are store-bought versions available that would have saved me a whole lot of time.

14 Likes

One of my kids is dressing as a parrot for Halloween, which of course means that he needs a little pirate for his shoulder. @Brainspore saw a demonstration of some free animatronic modeling and programming software at a recent maker fair and told me about it just in time. (It’s called Bottango if anyone is interested in trying it ) We crammed 5 cheap servos into a Ken doll that I found at a yard sale and now we’re all set.

15 Likes

love these!

I am currently making a door hanger Port-A-Hooty as a name plate for my goddaughter (who is named Lilith after Eda’s sister)

3 Likes

Great, I was thinking of doing the backpack thing with the Hooty face we made over the summer but none of the kids wanted to carry it.

4 Likes

So, new furniture save-from-the-dump project:

Ain’t it great? :grin: It’s an old partner’s desk, that has been in a barn for who knows how long, and was "come get this piece of crap or it goes to the landfill. Well, the price was right, so it’s ours now. I started to peel finish off and found that it is hardwood, mostly poplar, with a really pretty mahogany veneer. Also discovered a brass manufacturer badge that I’ve never heard of and can’t find any info on:

Anyway, it’s 4’ x 5’ with 9 drawers on each side. It’s gonna be a lot of work, but i think it’ll be worth it.

12 Likes

Will Do You Got It GIF by CBS

4 Likes

I just finished my own costume, which is the closest I’ve ever come to just going as a ghost by cutting two holes in a bedsheet. Not my most ambitious costume, but it works

21 Likes

Your garage looks about as well-organized as mine.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing a amateur resto on a dresser that someone painted. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the quality underneath. The top looks like bird’s-eye maple.

Alas, some damage by my adolescent stepson and his friends:

(“Kid Cudi”)

A couple small bits of hardware are missing. I’m not finding suitable replacements online, so I’m fabricating them.

Found this scrap of paper with a date, but no maker’s marks.

16 Likes

And finally, the finished product. For your spooky season consideration; Nosferatu, scored by me.

11 Likes

Kids changed their minds about the Port-a-Hooty at the last minute, so I had to whip this thing up last night. I didn’t have time to do a proper papier-mâché job or anything but at least it will be dark.

14 Likes

https://archive.ph/cvO1A

5 Likes

I love it!

Will you add a phone?

Brrrrring brrrring!

2 Likes

Replacement drawer pull (top), hammered out of a brass rod with lots of filing and polishing.

13 Likes