Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I used the laser cutter to give this little angel a “Joker smile”.

Mrs. Shiv was not amused.

2 Likes

Couple of questions about that iron on. Does it hold up pretty well in the wash? Do you apply it to the shirt (before the heat) like regular Cricut vinyl, with transfer tape? Can you use a clothes iron, or is a press necessary? I have an old dry mount press from my photography days, might that work?

2 Likes

Does it hold up pretty well in the wash?

This shirt is new, but I have another iron-on that has gone through the wash a few times. I haven’t noticed a degradation of quality. I specifically used a 60/40 cotton/poly blend shirt and the Cricut sportflex iron-on vinyl, so it stretches with the shirt. I’ve previously used other vinyl from Cricut like the holographic translucent stuff and also haven’t seen an issue there.

Do you apply it to the shirt (before the heat) like regular Cricut vinyl, with transfer tape?

Yes, especially since I’ve been prone to misalign a heat transfer design and waste a shirt or two, so I’ve learned to be very patient about aligning and affixing it in place with heat transfer tape and preferably a second set of eyes to agree it’s straight before I press it.

Can you use a clothes iron, or is a press necessary?

It looks like Cricut says you can use a regular iron for at least their everyday iron-on vinyl. I’m guessing the same is for the sportflex, but I tend to google for tutorials or someone else’s perspective to get settings for whatever I’m using. A heat press will likely just be better for a more consistent temperature and surface area of applied heat.

I have an old dry mount press from my photography days, might that work?

I found some discussions online about the differences between a dry mount press and a heat press and some people seemed to think they might be comparable. You’d just want to make sure that you can get the right temperatures for the items you’re pressing. The heat press settings for the sportflex iron-ons are around 305° F. I’d recommend googling any item first to make sure you’ll be able to match the recommended settings.

6 Likes

I got mine today! Thanks @FloridaManJefe! These are super cool

4 Likes

I kept looking at it and looking at it, it got the best of me so I pulled out the router and did it better.

Plus I didn’t like the screws.

That pin nailer was great for holding the template I placed on the plywood while I cut the hole out. Normally I would use double sided tape.

7 Likes

Is the M&M for you and your wife?

3 Likes

Yes, it’s our first name initials and been our cutesy nickname since high school. We stole their logo quite a while ago.

Don’t tell Mars.

6 Likes

My dad’s family also embraced the M&M logo, due to their (our, until I married) last name starting with an M… my grandfather always had a container for M&Ms in the dining room!

Anyways, it’s adorable! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

The lines are so smooth and I love the powder blue with the goldfish/brass rail to hold the spices

5 Likes

That spray paint is from Behr, they call it chalk, it’s like a super matte finish. Several colors available.

It’s a little pricey but I like how easy it covers and dries really quick. If you sand between coats it gets even better.

Thanks

4 Likes

a general contractor built the porch. the clients wanted this custom handrail but after seeing the crap job the contractor did laying the decking, they called us to do the handrail and put in the tongue-and-groove ceiling. getting the handrail design perfectly centered, plumb and level, and with the spacing consistent was extremely hard and slow-going. luckily, our client understands that and wanted it anyway without worrying about the labor cost. the ceiling boards can be a bear (or easy, depending) due to inaccurate milling or especially due to the bowing and swelling that can happen with all wood material, which makes the tongues and grooves not line up properly. but we are equal to the task.

this is the couple with the long cabinet and the decorative stuff on the front of the house.

8 Likes

I’m going bonkers with this laser. We now have a whole forest of xmas trees.

Earrings for spouse and daughter (idea thanks to @Mechanismatic )

And I’m working on a new contour map with colored layers. Trying out some stain colors here.

10 Likes

finished the ceiling yesterday and trimmed out the roof beam to cover the edges of the tongue-and-groove and to match the existing columns and what not.

we then went straight into making a staircase where the ladder is, which we finished today but it was dark.

11 Likes

Place looks great! Congrats on getting it finished.

4 Likes

This year I decided to make custom stamps for all the nieces & nephews based on their individual interests.

12 Likes

Neat! How did you make the rubber part, some sort of etching process?

6 Likes

IMG_0785
(Using specialized low-odor rubber)

11 Likes

those are very cool!
that is what i use to make rubber stamp “postmarks” for my mail art.

8 Likes

ya, they had an architect design the porch, so it looks great, the roof lines match the existing ones and just generally aesthetic.
again, we only did the interior of the roof, the handrails, and a staircase not (yet) shown.
looks like we’re also going to do a custom door later, and a crew is coming to screen the whole thing in.

4 Likes

Ok, final update.

Where we started:

Where we finished:

It was a lot of work for a free desk, but man, what a desk!

16 Likes