Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Huh, when you called it a “partners desk”, I was imagining that two people could use it across from each other. The top is certainly big enough, but there’s no place for the partner to sit.

Looks great, regardless!

6 Likes

The desk is a partners desk. The room is a single room. But someday…

6 Likes

No, there is the same setup on the other side, i just didn’t photograph it. Looks the same from either side, 7 drawers and 2 writing drawers and place for a chair on each side. A boatload of storage. I just don’t have a chair on the other side, but yhat is where my microscopy area will be, so there will be one.

10 Likes

Ah, that last photo is of the side, I get it now.

2 Likes

More fun with the frickin’ laser. I’m making an improved contour map. I’m not finished gluing it up yet, but I saved the cutouts and made this “inverted” map out of them.

The river is on top. 1/16" basswood, 10 layers. I’ll post the finished map when it’s done in the next couple days.

EDIT: It’s done

17 Likes

My wife really liked the ziplock bag spice rack thing.

And then she said “I hate to ask and there’s no hurry but could you make one for the drawer?”

She did bake me a pie and got me a palm router for Christmas so…

11 Likes

I didn’t do any of the design or construction work on this one, but earlier this year I illustrated the official rendering for one of the Rose Parade floats that was on the teevee this morning. Looks like the float won a trophy, so that’s nice.

ETA: they recently posted some video of the finished float from just before the parade.

9 Likes

cool work! i went and found this. very nice work on a really cool design!

5 Likes

Yup, that’s my Alma mater. I’ve been working with their Rose Float committee off and on for (checks notes) 28 years?? Christ I’m getting old.

4 Likes

SLO or Pomona?

2 Likes

Pomona. Though the campus has changed so much I probably wouldn’t recognize it if I went back today, the building that used to house the Art Department doesn’t even exist anymore.

2 Likes

I was at SLO in the late 90s. I had the same experience when I drove by campus a few weeks ago visiting my parents.

2 Likes

Oh, I wonder if we knew any of the same people! I worked with SLO students on the floats for years.

Also there’s a third Cal Poly in Humboldt now. Not sure how much they contribute to the float-building effort.

3 Likes

Certainly plenty of the greenery I would imagine :wink:

4 Likes

Just saw this on Hackaday:

I believe this is one of our Happy Mutants…?

10 Likes

I do believe you are correct!

@Jerry_Sneede

6 Likes

Yes, that’s my project :blush:

8 Likes

A question for @MrShiv and @tcg550 (and maybe others). What are you using for your laser cutter? This looks like something my daughter is becoming interested in.

3 Likes

“Well, there’s your problem!”

4 Likes