Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

The cutter I use is an Ortur 10-watt diode laser.

I don’t own it and didn’t choose it; it was donated to an organization I work with, and I volunteered to try it out and see what it could do. So, I haven’t done as much research as @tcg550. But here’s what I do know.

This is an entry-level machine by current standards. I think you could get one for maybe $600-$800 with some accessories.

The working area is 400mm square, or about 16", although in practice it’s a bit smaller. Some brands offer expansion kits to increase the working area.

This device’s laser has a fixed vertical (Z-axis) position, so it can only work on surfaces that are flat relative to the laser emitter and the X axis. The height is manually adjustable for focus and different thickness material, but it can’t move up and down on its own. So far, this hasn’t been a big problem. I also have a rotary chuck attachment, which replaces the Y axis gantry movement with rotation, so I can use it with cylindrical objects like tumblers or water bottles. But the X axis still has to be flat and level relative to the laser.

Diode lasers have lower power output than other types (like CO2), but are also simpler, less dangerous, and much less costly. 10 watts is near the low end of the hobby laser power range. I think @tcg550 is looking at a 20W, right? If I were to buy a laser now, I’d definitely go with 20 watts or more, for a diode laser. The model I have can use 20W laser heads, but I’d probably go with a different brand.

10 watts is sufficient to cut up to ~1/4" plywood, with multiple passes & depth/focus adjustment. It works well on 3mm and 1/16” basswood ply – common materials for this type of machine. Paper, cardboard, fabric, etc. also good.

It will etch acrylic and glass with special prep. You have to coat clear glass/acrylic with something to absorb the laser energy, otherwise the laser will just shine right through it and do nothing. I haven’t done anything with acrylic, but I did some tests of a glass bottle prepped with nail polish (removed w/ acetone after etching) that worked OK.

It will not cut or etch metal. Even higher-powered CO2 lasers will have a hard time with metal. You can paint or coat metal and “etch” the coating off.

Dangers: Cutting or etching anything, even at low power, will produce smoke, fumes, or both. Good ventilation is critical. I’m in my “workshop” (garage) and just open the garage door with a big fan, but that’s less than ideal in the winter. Most of what I’ve cut is plywood, and in addition to smoke there is fumes from whatever glue was used on the plies – not usually good to breathe. And of course there is the laser light, which can cause eye damage before you know it.

Software: Lightburn seems to be the standard for laser control. It’s great – very versatile and powerful – and worth the relatively low one-time cost. There’s a free trial. It can import layered Illustrator files, as well as SVGs and AutoCad DXFs. There are many such pre-made files available online. For designing original art, I use Illustrator, because it’s what I know. Other folks like InkScape, Corel Draw, Fusion 360 etc.

I hope this helps!

10 Likes

2f7c651287eb48d75d0f77b99fcb3f8b22ed88f4

8 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response!

4 Likes

Hmm, didn’t know this topic existed here on BB. :thinking:
The things you’ll discover!

Anywho, over a year ago, the wife and I started taking improv classes. The great thing at this theater is that after a class you get to perform on stage, in front of an audience for a one hour showcase. It was a lot of fun and we met a great community of people and we had continued taking classes through the year, including… a puppet workshop. Me, I loved puppetry and had always wanted to get a show together but my wife HATED puppets… until this workshop. Something clicked and she was hooked!

Taking advantage of a good thing I suggested that we put together an episodic puppet show. She was down.

Built some Broadway flats for set backgrounds, scripted a short show, filmed it and put it on YouTube. So, here it is fellow mutants, Shiny Happy Wonder! (not totally safe for work).

6 Likes

Also, @Brainspore and @Mechanismatic use lasers.

4 Likes

I don’t own one yet, for the next few weeks we have a couple big jobs in our regular bill paying job. After that I’m going to get very serious about buying one.

I’m leaning towards the xTool D1 Pro. Probably 20 watt but it has the ability to swap out the 20 for a 40.

We’re going all in at about 2 grand maybe a little more.

I keep coming back to xTool because there’s seems to be a pretty big community for help, support, and ideas.

There are quite a few sub $1000 machines,

@MrShiv really laid it out pretty good.

I think after cost you should really research the venting aspect, we have a spare bedroom we can set up with a vent to the outdoors. Of course I have to convince my wife we really don’t need our daughter’s bedroom set anymore, she’s really not coming home.

With the cats and my asthma I want to be really sure the fumes are going outside.

For me, the research is half the fun. The software is more fun for me. My wife is the idea person,.

Wish I could help more, by this spring I should have some hands on experience.

6 Likes

i have posted before about the laser that i use and the very niche operations that i bought it for.
i got an AtomStack A5 M40 5W laser, 400mm square working area. very low power, but i do not cut wood, rather i reverse the images, etch linoleum, acrylic(black) and wood deeply and then print the images on my press. halftones, type, reverse-outs. i use it to cut heavy chip and coated stock for boxes, cards and pop-up elements. i have used it to mark on blank tin boxes, but it requires a special coating to be applied.
this set up is too low powered to do any heavier materials, but for the price (~$400usd) and what i need, it is sufficient.
so my experience can illustrate that lower than 10W is not a great all-round starter set up for more robust cutting projects.
edit to add: like others have stated, ventilation is very important. my vent hood also provides eye protection with amber gel windows. good safety glasses are also a good idea.

5 Likes

A bedside table I made for my wife:

I was initially making the matching one at the same time, but then I sped up working on hers to finish it for the holidays. Now the one for my side is 40% finished, and I expect it will stay that way for many months…

15 Likes

You might try finding a local makerspace that has a laser cutter to get an introduction to it.

My STEAM Center has a Glowforge Plus, which may be out of the price range for a lot of newer hobbyists between the cost of the device itself and the cost of a filtration unit if needed.

6 Likes

One last laser project to share, then I’m taking a break. This is a just-finished contour map of my home county (Boone, Missouri). 8 layers of 3mm basswood, about 15" x 10".

Meanwhile, Ms. Shiv has been working for months on this thing. I can’t say I fully understand, but the thousands of little dots are called “French knots” and she’s made them one by one.

11 Likes

I love mid-century design!

3 Likes

Getting Nam June Paik vibes from that one.

4 Likes

so our work at this house finally came to an end. in addition to the ceiling and handrails upthread, we made this staircase and handrail, a nonstandard height and thickness door out of solid poplar boards that were something like 1 and ¾ inch thick, and a matching jamb and dog door.

then on my days off I built this shelf table thing out of scraps I’ve accumulated over the last year+.

I needed it to maximize the space between my wall and bookshelf, and be the same height as the adjacent workbench

9 Likes

And now I have to go listen to Jellybean!

4 Likes

first appearance of Madonna!
but the cover artwork by United Artists crew is the real draw, for me. that’s legendary subway king SEEN and DUSTER, his acolyte.

5 Likes
5 Likes

6 Likes

this makes me smile.
at work, my boss is in charge of the design. sometimes I offer input, sometimes he solicits my input. but I make at least half of everything once the design is hashed out. and of course, usually the clients decide how it looks. but a lot of the design is picking the best path of how to achieve that.

5 Likes

I’ve started a collaboration with Stephen Malinowski, using his cool musical animations as input to the Video Feedback Device.

Watch as his animation of Bach, Cello Suite No. 1, 1st movement (Showing Bowing) changes into various fractals, all done with optical video feedback (HD cameras looking at HD monitors).

Read more about Stephen on his Wikipedia page, and check out his animations here: https://www.youtube.com/@smalin

Check out more about the Light Herder project on my website: https://www.thelightherder.com

12 Likes

I don’t know if this counts but…

Lately my mom only calls when she thinks her computer has been hacked or for stuff like this.

Ring ring: “I sent two things to your house, can you put them together and bring them over.”

The little one was easy, the big one took two hours. It’s so overwhelming when you break open the box and see all the parts, sorting it all out is half the battle

Tomorrow it’s deliver and move her tv, cable, internet modem, and whatever other electronics go in that thing.

Oh, and FedEx was awesome. It was freezing rain when the big one showed up, I was in the garage and didn’t know he was there. He knocked on the door and offered to bring it inside for my wife.

8 Likes