Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I like! Is it just me or is it very 70s (in a good way).

4 Likes

Yes, I almost bought a house that was very FLW inspired - a beautiful home built by an architect for his family; however, the sellers, who had owned the house for over 20 years after the original owner sold it to them, had not maintained the structure well. There was water seeping into the basement and the roof needed to be replaced. The more I looked into it, the more I decided against a house that needed extensive structural work and was designed in such a way that it likely would continue to. Learning about the issues with flat roofs and such, I decided the whole aesthetic was neat but needed some rethinking.

FYI, this original FLW house was owned by family friends: http://wrightinalabama.com/

2 Likes

Ooh, I love the super mod look to this, what kind of wood, mahogany?

1 Like

I’m getting all my permits in place to work this summer- I do spray paint art as street performance.

10 Likes

Nope!
That’s stained Red Oak- and yes, we were aiming for something Mahogany-esq, so that’s great to hear you say that. The shelves are a slab of Red Oak Plywood fronted by a Red Oak 1"x2" glued and finished nailed to the front side- they look about 2" thick, but are really only 3/4". It’s nice, I think.
@Mindysan33 We were going for mid-century modern, and it feels like we got pretty close (though, I suppose, the shelves should have been Walnut or Teak for that…)

4 Likes

Yeah, you nailed that color, it looks great.

4 Likes

I love this whole genre of street art, but I always worry the artists are going to end up with some serious brain damage from all the fumes. Stay safe!!!

6 Likes

Every painter I ever see wears a respirator.

4 Likes

I do, and wear gloves.

On a more exciting note, I’m actually building a downdraft table with a HEPA filter, and I found a source for spray paints that use an alcohol based propellent instead of a petroleum based one. With any luck, I should be able to paint without a respirator, even indoors!

12 Likes

Kintsugi glass fusion pendants…

15 Likes

Yeah, I agree, the colors look great, and the whole arrangement looks very nice. A++++

2 Likes

I forgot to post progress last week because the house was madness for the bulk of it, but on 29th we got counters!

Last Thursday night was my last time doing dishes in the bathtub:

What a relief to finally have a functional kitchen. It will be a couple months before it’s 100% complete, though.

24 Likes

I like the floor tiles… what did you guys use?

4 Likes

They’re ceramic, but glazed to look like pickled wood. Imagine red oak with grey pickling and you’ll be pretty close.

8 Likes

Sounds like a FLW house, actually. :wink:

(Source: I live where most of his homes were built.)

5 Likes

+1 for a batch disposal!!!

1 Like

Encaustics…

12 Likes

I thought exactly the same thing!

Gorgeous. You’re giving me kitchen envy!

5 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like