Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

The pieces parts (enough to get started anyway) have arrived for a friends xmas present this year:

I’m still trying to figure out how to add lights. I’d like to add them OTH but with these self contained quartz driven movements that’s not really an option - that know of anyway.
I’m going to have to break out the air brush for this - sure hope that’s like riding a bike…

5 Likes

Yesterday, I turned a pair of jeans into a skirt. They were just a little too snug on my calves (“skinny jeans”, pah!), so they needed to be cut.

Since I had some denim left over, I used some of it to make a new hot pad for the kitchen.

The other fabrics were leftovers from previous projects. It’s lined with a layer of Insul-Bright and a layer of cotton batting. I’m hoping to make at least one or two more before the weekend.

16 Likes

and the best thing is POCKETS!

12 Likes

Yup, it’s hard to find skirts with decent pockets!

9 Likes

Well these are a bit less feminine but they are nice…

4 Likes

One day, when I have the $$$…

Until then, I’ll have to stick with converting pants >> skirts. (I now have seven!)

3 Likes

Kingsugi because my cats broke my plate and Royal Doulton…

6 Likes

I know Kingsugi is a specialty interest of yours, so I’d like to ask: is there a history of using it on non-Japanese wares? Looking at it as a total outsider, I feel the technique doesn’t work as well on such a different style of porcelain. Is that ignorance on my part?

3 Likes

Worked out great! Thanks again! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

you are welcome… which did you go for? I have been partial to vallejo for awhile now as nice as GW paint is their containers suck.

Vallejo Visceral Gory Red (72.711).

I’m currently testing it with/without the orange base that I found worked so well with Gouache and just generally testing different approaches to find my final. Though even by itself it looks like a good, dark blood.

2 Likes

Found yet another use for 1-2-3 Blocks - is there anything they can’t help with?

6 Likes

Kintsugi means fusing with gold and it was response to the old methods of drilling holes and using staples/stitches to put back glass, ceramic, porcelain, etc. It works well with a lot of glassware, China, and a few other earthenware as well. I started the purist way, and then just decided to expand it to paint broken pieces, fuse other unrelated wares into it, etc.

4 Likes

I’m about a week late, but if you take this path, grind down the edges of those two cards so that the bevels will allow other cards to slide in.

This is opposed to the edges being grinding, squared blocks for incoming cards.

3 Likes

We see your username. We all know you’re in the pocket of Big Bevel.

9 Likes

I know a thing or two about bevels. That doesn’t make me anyone’s stooge!

6 Likes

Uh-huh… The how do you explain an article in the Glasgow Herald from November 7th, 1986? 45 people die in a Chinook crash.

The cause, fatigue failure of the spiral bevel gear in the rotor box. The original article for the Glasgow Herald isn’t available on Google. But you know what I noticed? All the articles available are in black and white. And your avatar is black and white. How do you explain that Mr. Bevel? Or was that just another handy coincidence?

8 Likes

All I can say to that is, I was 9 years old in 1986.

I don’t deny that mistakes were made, but I have done my best to move on.

11 Likes

As if I need another project, but this one’s pretty easy and it just cries out to be built so I will…ahem…take a stab at it…

6 Likes

Not sure I am inclined to thrust my efforts in that direction at the moment.

2 Likes