Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I see that you do old school pokemon hunting then

10 Likes

Gotta slay 'em all.

13 Likes

I rejiggered my website for 2017, posted the 19 musical experiments I had finished during December after I was ā€œdoneā€ with the 2016 project, and uploaded my first 2017 track (and also to YouTube). Not a bad eveningā€™s work/playā€¦ though now Iā€™m second-guessing my color choices.

7 Likes

Will plastic rice work? My office in the attic gets down to 2Ā°C so Iā€™m thinking of putting one of those plastic sheets on the windows to temporarily triple glaze them, but draught protectors could be helpful too.

This week I built a bike shed and converted my daughterā€™s bed into a bunk bed so she has space underneath to do her artwork. (Thereā€™s another beam at the back of the shed and I may add some more side panelling, but it will stay fairly minimalist as itā€™s for protection against the elements rather than security. The beams are treated, but Iā€™ll be staining them and the panels later. The bed is also bolted to the wall at both ends and will eventually be painted, and I should probably put a handle at the top of the ladder even though she doesnā€™t seem to have any trouble getting up and down).

It will only last her a couple of years until she transitions to a full size bed, but sheā€™s been trying to show it off to everyone over the last few days. ā€œHave you seen my bump bed?ā€

14 Likes

Iā€™ve made my first bike rack. First time brazing as well- seemed a better choice than rivets or something.
For a kidā€™s 20" wheeled bike.

20 Likes

That is so much classier than what I used to do - cut half the foot and a thumb hole

1 Like

I helped install a laser cutter at the in-laws this holiday season so I got to cut out the front of my backlit mailbox.

Laser!

15 Likes

I decided Iā€™ll need to make a General Organa cosplay for ECCC in March. But ā€¦ weā€™re also moving, so I wonā€™t actually have time to sew much. Currently googling ā€œmilitary flight suitsā€ on ebay. Why do none of them come in womenā€™s sizes?

10 Likes

Two quick weekend projects (sort of).
One: A test of some paint markers on some 500d Cordura. Itā€™s for another bag project, and to be honest, Iā€™m glad I tested, as Iā€™m not thrilled thus far with the results. I feel like Iā€™m going to end up needing to silkscreen, and thatā€™s a whole 'nother bag of worms.

Two: A new shemagh for myself. In the vein of ACRNYM of 1K Corp or whatever, itā€™s a bit more cyber-punk-ish than normal for me, but itā€™s working for me regardless. And yes, itā€™s warmer than youā€™d think.

I did some tailoring to a trench coat Iā€™ve had hanging for a while, and the fit is now such that I can be seen in public with it, so thatā€™s good. No pic yet, as Iā€™ve a bunch more fiddly work to do on it before it goes into heavy rotation.

10 Likes

The shirt I made for my husband

16 Likes

This thread never fails to delight, not unlike my recent creation/discovery. I knit, and am pretty much a major fabric geek in general. I neither read nor follow knitting instructions or even recommendations (maybe once did a gauge swatch). Nor do I Christmas much, though a fair part of why Iā€™m not homeless due to my folks so I like to try to pay at least my respects, and it serves as a good reminder. One of my favorite memories of this Summer was my mom telling me her favorite joke. We didnā€™t make it past the first line without hilarity. It is as follows:

A penguin walks into a bar.
Says to the bartender, ā€œIā€™m lookinā€™ for my brother; have you seen him?ā€
Bartender says, ā€œI donā€™t know, whatā€™s he look like?ā€

Ba dum cha!

So I decided to knit her a penguin based solely on the belief i could. Iā€™m not gonna lie, the following results make me feel fucking magical. Yet another reason I love knitting; also untangling yarn, and just yarn. Yarn yarn yarn.

TL;DR: I knitted the following working them out as i went based off google image search results of the intended subjects.

So clearly I had to see if i might try my hand at another creature. Informed by my sister that people want narwhals as well as immediately being able to imagine how i might fabricate one, I set about doing it. Et voila.

23 Likes

Just finished sewing a pussyhat from minky, a soft, fuzzy stretch fabric Iā€™ve not used before.

Ref: Pussyhat Project, Womenā€™s March on Washington, and sister marches

12 Likes

Kentucky! This was the desk I wanted to put in there, but I wasnā€™t completely sure it would fit (even though I had measured it beforehand ā€“ sometimes you get a case of resistentialism). The side bars of the bed lining up with the table height was a happy accident.

12 Likes

This is some nice work and whether you realize it or not, youā€™re pretty much following the general rules for increases and decreases for 3D work!

Iā€™m working on new gloves and a hat. Iā€™ve not been in the mood to knit in over a year, so these have been in the works since October. And of course, I blew the gage because Iā€™m working with two different weight yarns. Itā€™s good news/bad news, though, if I have enough yarn, my SO will also get a new pair of gloves out of the deal. Iā€™ll post pics once I have the second right-hand glove complete.

5 Likes

#Antman prepares to enter the Chamber of Doom.

Cutting though rock lath walls to install new (actually very old) linen closet door at top of steps. The plasterā€™s full of limed pig bristles which you emphatically do not want to breathe, and sharp sand which you do not want in your eyes, and my rock saw screams like the anguished souls of the damned so I needed ear protection too.

16 Likes

No shirt sawing? Badass.

4 Likes

Damn! Nice!

2 Likes

More cheapass! :slight_smile: Ā  Clothes donā€™t heal, and the washing machine doesnā€™t like a half pound of sharp sand and plaster dust in the laundry. I generally protect my junk and my feet and take a few scratches elsewhere from flying nail fragments. I wish Iā€™d worn a hat, thoughā€¦ I still havenā€™t got all the plaster out of my hair after two shampooings.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve found great variation in what old plaster walls are made of. Iā€™ve demoed some of thick cement on metal diamond mesh, and a ceiling last week that was a layer of horsehair plaster barely 1/4" in places on wood lath. No wonder the latter was cracked to hell and unsavable. I wear a hoodie with the sleeves taped doing this work, I hate plaster debris going down my shirt or up my sleeves.

In the apartment Iā€™m working on Iā€™m basically sculpting crappy old cracked and unkeyed walls flat by screwing in plaster washers and skim coating. Nasty work.

4 Likes

You missed a great opportunity to take a plaster cast of your face while you were already covered in dust :smile:.

6 Likes