Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Yeah, 1/4" on lath is ridiculous. Even with horsehair that’ll never work.

My friend Pedro the Cruel screws everything down flat with boards and/or washers, drills rows of holes into the lath, forces some kind of fancy glue through the plaster and into the lathing (essentially replacing the broken keys with glue joints) and then pulls off the boards/washers and spackles over the holes and cracks. It’s some kind of commercial system; it seems to work very well.

I tear everything down to the lath and build it back up old-school (in my house) or with modern drywall (in other people’s houses). :slight_smile: Yeah, it is nasty work, but very rewarding to see a nice smooth wall where there used to be a cracked, bulging eyesore.

8 Likes

I’ve seen that system, seems a little over the top I guess. Half the time there’s so much crap between the unkeyed plaster and the lath that you can’t get it to sit flat anyway. When the walls are beyond saving I hire a contractor to gut it to the studs and sheetrock, no need for my subtle skills there. I also do the salvaging and reproducing of woodwork detail that the contractors seem to either can’t or won’t do. I let them do the 3 piece baseboard around a bay window and it was hash.

This crown assembly to match the existing woodlwork is a fascia, backing strips to bulk it up, crown, bottom plate and half round on that plate. And the inside joints are coped not mitered. Even the case is 3 pieces.

8 Likes

Look, there’s no need to justify your Fury Road LARP with some sort of hand waving about “home improvement”. We’re all mutants here.

I just wanna know if you have room for another player… :confused:

12 Likes

Erm.

FTFY. Then again, maybe both of us are right? To the Freak Flag thread!

4 Likes

Maybe pick up a disposal work suit? Certainly, you can get them for like, painting and such?

6 Likes

This was the Christmas gift to the missus. Handlettered one of her favorite poems.

11 Likes

I’m too cheap!   (Only when I was growing up, it was called being Scotch, and it was a compliment.)

I do use the disposable tyvek suits for asbestos cleanup or poison ivy control. My daughter is very allergic so I don’t want to bring any urushiol into the house or laundry.

8 Likes

Thanks! I started on hats, doing some crochet before that (had a gig finishing winter hats for a business casual catalog brand as a teen, paid per piece). I love knitting in the round! I’ve done socks and am glove curious, but intimidated by all those fingers. I also am never excited to have to do basically the exact same thing twice. Gotta keep the spice flowing and all.

Now would be a good time to dust off my Vogue knitting book and give it a try, since we are snowed in for the foreseeable future. Barely made it to get supplies today for the first time since last year. Intense.

Here’s the hat I made for my dad. It’s got 4 different yarns worked in, and though it may appear ridiculous to the casual observer; it is perfect for him. The man rocks a poof ball.

10 Likes

New apron

18 Likes

Done. Awhile back, but just got around to taking photos.

Lights:

Buttons:

Batteries:

I’ll neaten it up later, but it’s 99% there.

20 Likes

So…

The spoilboard on my Shapeoko was a little chewed up and I was suspecting it was not 100% level. So it’s time to level the spoil board.

I chuck in a 3/4" flat router bit I have for just such occasions, whip up some gcode to mill off .1mm and see how that goes…

.1mm? Silly human, you put in .1 inch.

I forgot to mention the fine layer of MDF powder that is now coating most everything in the garage.

Next project is definitely the enclosure I keep pondering.

7 Likes

I made a wallet out of a couple of Trader Joe’s snack food packages:

I used packing tape to stick eveything together. Inside (with bonus license holder):

The outside:

And a shiny place to store a few bucks:

21 Likes

And now there’s one more Pussyhat in the world:

26 Likes

I guess that’s what’s new: Pussy hat!

(Woah Woah Woah)

14 Likes

I decided today I want one. strong text

8 Likes

I’d like to know how this looks even a little like female reproductive anatomy? Srsly, alt-right shitheels are calling these ‘vagina hats’. How?

[great stitching, btw. you’ve got mad tensioning skillz.]

11 Likes

I would happily wear one of those!

5 Likes

If you feel your knitting skillz are not mad enough, there are crochet patterns out there and this is super easy to sew out of some fleece.

2 Likes

I think they look like cat ears, but I guess one person’s kitty is another person’s reproductive parts?

1 Like

I agree, they look like cat ears. I called them kitteh hats when I first noticed them because duh, right?

5 Likes