Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

I can’t stand the sight of it!

Seriously though, I love it. Maybe this is what D&D 5e’s ‘Awakened Shrub’ looks like…

8 Likes

“Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don’t look around the eyes, look into my eyes (rustles leaves) you’re under.”

6 Likes

What about aquarium supplies? The bonus being that they’re designed to be submerged.

5 Likes

I finally got around to finishing my first Tasmanian bowl:

A random bit of scrap from the firewood pile.

23 Likes

Yeah, been checking those out too!

In fact, I’ll probably eventually do an aquarium snow globe with some plastic fish floating around…

2 Likes

So with other engineers out there apparently upping the PVC-based-dinosaur-costume game, last year’s stegosaurus is going to be this year’s Pete’s Dragon. Complete with smoke!

20 Likes

I never understood why Fin Fang Foom wore purple pants, until I saw this post and it dawned on me - it’s an homage to Pete’s Dragon! He wanted his color scheme to match his hero!!!

6 Likes

Finished the new coffee table:

About two metres of construction pine and a bit of old reclaimed oak.

20 Likes

I gave what will be the speakers on my Pi music box another coat. After this picture, I buffed them a lot with a cloth and reduced the paint-drip lines. When the light is right, I can almost pretend that it really is antique bronze rather painted PVC.

16 Likes

There may be another reason…

Oglaf (NSFWish)

11 Likes

A bit of an old shovel handle and a few minutes on the lathe.

11 Likes

Almost finished. I may have to use a GoPro with WiFi connection to an iPad in order to see properly though.

22 Likes

I did a word clock app for my PiCrate. I suppose it’s kind of perverse to simulate an LED grid and letter stencils with an actual 480x320 screen, but that’s the way I roll. Besides, it’s a lot easier to change the font and grid size in software. I might step up to a 12x10 grid, because it’s a struggle to spell some hours with the 8x8 grid. (The program auto-sizes the letters.)

Here’s with the off color brightened to see the full grid:

13 Likes

Progress report! I’m actually working on two glitter globes - a tower with bats :bat:, and a fairy with butterflies. :butterfly:

Here are the scenes I built, just waiting for the glue to dry before I apply sealant. I found some lovely fake mossy rocks; I cut one in half to form a little hilltop for the tower. It sank a bit in the styrofoam (I know now to use a different glue for such in future!); looks like I’ll have to cut a little path to dig the door out of the ground. The styrofoam looks fine with some sharpie applied, so it will be a black path.

For the fairy I decided to ditch the styro-rock and use some real rocks from the driveway. I already have the butterfly sequins for her; I’ll probably throw in some autumn leaf ones as well. The fairy is a little taller than I meant; should have chosen some flatter rocks - but she does fit, just barely, with one wingtip touching the globe.

Still waiting for some bats to arrive for the tower, as well as a ghost :ghost: or two - but looks like the sealant won’t be dry in time for Halloween anyway, because I didn’t realize it could take up to 72 hours to dry completely.

18 Likes

Neon font looks good, but it’s almost mandatory that I make some of them flicker intermittently.

15 Likes

Working on a Charmingly Rustic™️ box made from some of the reclaimed Tassie Oak:

First time I’ve done miter joints.

15 Likes

Is that a shower head for your speaker grille?

2 Likes

It’s an actual speaker grill from a re-purposed $3 speaker.

3 Likes

Finished another firewood bowl:

19 Likes

15 Likes