Making foam beer stein-style cup and can insulators

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/19/making-foam-beer-stein-style-cup-and-can-insulators.html

How is fake wood “stein-style”?

1 Like

Exactly. It’s a wooden stave tankard. Those did exist but they’re not “steins”.

1 Like

Plus, the only semi-legit case to call a Humpen a “stein” is when you are a 19th century prince studying incognito at Heidelberg.

4 Likes

It would be called a Seidla where I’m from but I have long ago given up the fight against the word “stein”. I will never not write the word without quotation marks, though.

2 Likes

Ob Krügel, Seidel oder Pfiff -

tenor (4)

1 Like

The proper name in pottery studies would be Steinzeugwalzenkrug, btw. At least that’s how I would officially describe it if I had to classify one.

That was the word I was looking for!

2 Likes

If I may, I’d like to award you and @Doctor_Faustus an honorary pedant pendant for the contents of this thread :wink:

4 Likes

You could call it a (fake) Holzkrug, I suppose.

Pretty clever though; I like it!

2 Likes

I’m fascinated by how “scaled-up cartoonish video game prop” has become its own aesthetic for real-world objects. The original purpose of the cartoonish aesthetic in video games was to make objects that are small on the screen read properly, by exaggerating the details - the effect becomes interestingly abstract when full-sized objects are made that way, too.

4 Likes

Stein? Nein!

The video doesn’t show anyone drinking from it because you can’t. Are you supposed to put your lips on the uneven foam? Is it even food safe? The liquid will spill everywhere as it runs from the dixie cup onto the thick and uneven foam lip.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.