Making while brown: Texas schoolchild arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

Right, but he showed it to his engineering teacher first, as per the OP. So why didn’t the engineering teacher defend him when all this shit blew up?

2 Likes

Both Obama and Commander Hadfield have tweeted at him.

Do we think anyone at the school and the police district is embarrassed yet? Or are they not physically able to feel emotions?

14 Likes

What else could the chief of police possibly say to save face?

2 Likes

Gee, I wonder where President Obama goes for a blog break…

2 Likes

Of course, that would seem to contradict the police’s earlier statements:

6 Likes

I hoped for “We’re terribly sorry, at the moment the involved officers are visiting him to apologize. We will take a look at our procedures and will bring them forward with the district and school”.

But even a “mistakes were made” would have been better than some half-assed ‘actually he IS a terrorist and [fake-]bomber’.

4 Likes

YESSS.

Once again: Obama may not be perfect, but can anyone really imagine McCain or Romney showing that much class?

This is probably the first time in history that a kid has been invited to the White House for doing cool science stuff and his teacher and principal have reason to feel shame instead of pride.

11 Likes

Not to get too far OT, but I’ll just point out they’re both Bush franchises.

Or backyard telescopes…

1 Like

Testilying before there’s even a court case. ::headdesk::

Every kid in the engineering class (in fact, every kid in the school who considers themselves a maker or wants to) should now make the same clock Ahmed made and bring it to school. They would either be forced to take every kid equally into custody and suspend them, or realize the ridiculousness of the whole thing. The law applies equally to all, right?

3 Likes

I think the White House invitation already covers the “making them look ridiculous” part.

1 Like

Over 160K retweets, already. And he keeps repeating himself.

1 Like

Here’s the bomb clock:

6 Likes

Except of course that of the thousands of clocks one of them will actually be a bomb, and when it explodes it will justify our new War on Curiosity.

Unless the kid who made it turns out to be white, in which case it will be an isolated incident from a troubled teen.

2 Likes

I wonder how closely White House security will look at the clock before they let him in.

2 Likes

Unironically!

8 Likes

There’s no contradiction – Mohamed maintained that the device was a clock, and the police indended the device as a hoax bomb.

Wanted to let y’all know that

there is an FFTF petition for Ahmed.

2 Likes

I’ll grant that if he’d placed one of those electrolytic caps in reversed polarity, it might explode, and stink up the place real bad.

5 Likes

Heheh, nobody peeled the foam back! Homemade C4??? This kid is a GENIUS!