Making while brown: Texas schoolchild arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

The reason why we let try it @shaddack at his home ; )

6 Likes

I think he has a flight booked to DC, but the airline is allowing him only 1 carry-on that is subject to search.

Ba-dump-bump- pssh

2 Likes

Hey, interfacing gadgets to sensoric and motoric nerves could be pretty interesting! I believe there’s a wide field here for bio/neurohacking. It’s why I am giving a degree of interest to the body modification community - they have quite a lot of the technology and the biocompatible materials and don’t have superexpensive medical school degree to risk so are more likely to go crazy. Just add the interfacing itself - and for that there’s quite some literature out there dealing with neuroprosthetics. For that, the hacker community needs tech for micro/nanopatterning. Even the most rudimetary multimicrometer-scale chip making lithography would do a large amount of work here. A 10µm process should be within what’s achievable today.

After your first cyborg attempt goes tits up, have a loved one send me your gofundme link, so that I can help pay for your rehab.

2 Likes

Umm - WTF is “the school police”? Is that something like The Library Policeman?

1 Like

in 100 posts from clocks to thermonuclear bombs - that escalated quickly : D

[yes yes, I’m to blame]

4 Likes

Go slow. First start with cosmetic stuff, light up a LED or so. Such implants themselves could pay for next step of the research; control by nerves, wirelessly charge the battery. Then motorics and sensoric feedback on individual nerves that you can write off if things go wrong. Only once the basics are mastered, go for the big prize.

Can Texas just secede already? Just make their own country and call it Jesusland. It’s a win-win for everybody.

1 Like

Haha! You obvi don’t live in Texas, where there are multiple layers of law enforcement, for our public safety; each one more questionable than the last: State Police, Highway Patrol, Capitol Police, City Police, Sheriffs, Constables, School District Police, Transit Authority, Park Police, Rail Police, Airport Police, Hospital Police, Narcotics Task Forces, Marshals, Rangers and Special Rangers.

You CLEARLY are a Yankee! Yippee Kiy-yay, y’all come back and see us again sometime.

1 Like

I went to the Texas Ranger museum in Waco.

It seemed to consist solely of films and documentation about the stupid illegal stuff they’d done. Plus a photo of Chuck Norris.

3 Likes

dafuq? Now I feel strangely unsafe and underpoliced. Which of the myriad of police agencies is negatively impacted because of Ahmed’s clock?

2 Likes

I haven’t been. Was the most famous Ranger represented correctly?

1 Like

Unfortunately not on the list is Mental Hospital Police. I think it affects them the worst, because all the inmates escaped and were hired by the other departments.

3 Likes

Did you go to the Dr Pepper museum instead?

No, man! I DROVE AS FAST AS I COULD GET AWAY WITH THROUGH WACO. Do you think I am crazy?

Wacko in Waco?

1 Like

Yeah because brown people get treated great here in California…

Sadly, this is the new normal. It’s not just in Texas, it’s not just Muslim kids, it’s not just Arab kids, it’s not just brown kids, it’s all the poor and middle class kids in the “zero tolerance” public schools of America. We’re steadily driving all the good teachers, principals and cops out of the system.

But admittedly Texas is a bit ahead of the national curve. Your local school district may have only recently begun this process, in response to the Newtown atrocity, but in Texas police officers in schools already write more than 1,000 misdemeanor tickets a year.

@albill, rich brown people get treated great, almost anywhere in America. And their kids go to private school, where there is tolerance a-plenty.

1 Like

11 Likes

These people think “24” is a documentary.