Man accused of stealing Pelosi's lectern has a lawyer who admits "I'm not a magician"

Still better than Giuliani!

10 Likes

Or he could say something lawyerish like “My job is to ensure that the full due process of law is correctly followed, that my client gets a fair trial, and that his rights are respected and protected.”

10 Likes

Column: I took part in a pro-Trump attack on the US Capitol and now I have to face consequences? That’s tyranny!

23 Likes

He won’t need to be, man’s a damn wizard.

14 Likes

This was my reaction, too. Why even do that press conference?! You know what they’re gonna ask and anything you say will only hurt your client. Just “no comment” your way out of the building.

13 Likes

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfled: You go to trial with the lawyer you can afford, not the lawyer you wish you could afford.

17 Likes

He doesn’t have dripping shoe dye in his hair.

7 Likes

I suppose the only reason might be that your client already intends to admit that he was in the building and took the lectern.

Even so, not talking to the press would seem more sensible.

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to tomorrow when he announces his new co-counsel:

david copperfield

2 Likes

Hey, maybe it wasn’t him. . . .

12 Likes

It could be worse, uh you know, it could be worse

…at least he was white.

4 Likes

The only positive thing about this incident is that early reports called it a podium (which is what 99% of people call it) and pedants pointed out that “Technically, the little stage is the podium and the holder for papers and microphone on it that people stand behind is a lectern.” And then later reports tended to use the word “lectern”. Which might actually popularize the term in the general public.

12 Likes

As a pedant, I approve this message.

9 Likes

I may have missed this but ever since I saw this photo I have been wondering where the lectern is now. Did he set it down after hamming for that photo? Was it destroyed? Did he fly back to Florida with it as checked baggage?

12 Likes

I think he made a great choice of lawyer, and I’m looking forward to his achieving the best possible outcome. And I hope the others choose lawyers just as skilled.

10 Likes

They found it elsewhere in the building. Probably too big for baggage claim, anyway. :man_shrugging:

13 Likes

That makes most sense. Seemed strange the news blurbs didn’t add at the end that the lectern was later found discarded or at least said it’s location was unknown.

6 Likes

Yet no one wants to label it a plinth. I suspect a coverup.

(/s, in case that wasn’t obvious)

5 Likes

I should stand on my soapbox and shout “this is a podium!”

6 Likes

Lawyer: Your honor, my client has already taken the stand.

(I’ll show myself out)

35 Likes