Man, angry at likeness being used to show that hipsters all look the same, learns it's not him in the photo

A man-bun is just a ponytail trying to flee to higher ground.

39 Likes

That ground is the difference between hippie and hipster.

5 Likes

The MIT Technology Review article is interesting. Evidently it’s a pretty complex interaction:

In general… the population of hipsters initially act randomly but then undergo a phase transition into a synchronized state. He finds that this happens for a wide range of parameters but that the behavior can become extremely complex, depending on the way hipsters interact with conformists… There are some surprising outcomes, too. When there are equal proportions of hipsters and conformists, the entire population tends to switch randomly between different trends. Why isn’t clear…

7 Likes

I would love to hear a follow up from the hipster

2 Likes

Another apropos clip from this masterpiece, with a nod to this comment:

12 Likes

Hundredth Hipster Theory

3 Likes

It’s odd that the paper on which this article is based came out in 2014 – I’m surprised it took so long to be noticed.

2 Likes

Reminds me of how popular tattoos got in the 90’s and 2000’s. Used to be that outlaws, inmates, artists and other “outcasts” got tattoos but then everyone was getting them. Living in socal you were almost more radical for not having one.

5 Likes

Yeah well I was into that report way before anyone heard of it. Even had a copy on vinyl. Now it’s just gone way too mainstream for me.

41 Likes

That would be hepster.

9 Likes

I think the key thing here is the conflating of ‘non-conformists’ and ‘counterculturist’.

Very very few people people are or even want it be non-conformists. It can Be very socially alienating and people are social creatures usually.

However, large numbers of people join counterculture movements because they find mainstream culture problematic for one reason or another. These people are not non-conformists. And these people are the ones causing this ‘hipster’ effect.

So there really is no paradox, just a mislabeling of people.

13 Likes

Nonconformist ones do.

6 Likes

Jokes on you, I only wear kombucha.

15 Likes

“hipsters” don’t canonically have anything, because it’s an absolutely meaningless term that has been used to describe thousands of various, vague characteristics for the last eighty years. that photo looks like half my friends in college… in the 90’s. can we not just please fucking replace the word “hipster” with the more-honest term “literally anyone whose style i don’t understand” ?

11 Likes
11 Likes

Came here to post this one:

Now chuckling because:
a) I knew I’d heard it somewhere before
b) The Google search lists ‘songwriter’ as Damon Albarn :rofl:

4 Likes

My husband looks AWESOME in a man bun, but he stone cold refuses to do it because he’s worried people will think he’s a hipster. He does sometimes wear his hair in pigtails if I cut it too short though. You may be right about the ponytail. Too young to be a hippy, to old to be a hipster.

2 Likes

Is this what teh youts call a “self-own”?

4 Likes

Jesus: “Conform or through the gates of hell with 'ya.”

(Jesus is an asshole.)

6 Likes

Sportos, Motorheads, Geeks, Sluts, Bloods, Waistoids, Dweebies, Dickheads…

18 Likes