Ambient "hipster" lifestyle soundtracks

[Read the post]

I think I’m officially tired of the term “hipster”. There doesn’t seem to be a generally held definition other than “people you should dislike because they’re pretentious in their non-pretention” or somesuch, oh and maybe they have beards, or glasses, or shirts with certain patterns. And now coffee shops are hipster sites? Is there someone here who doesn’t go to a coffee shop sometimes?

meh.

4 Likes

Or you could call it: “coffee house din”

3 Likes

I think the best one I have heard is

someone under 40 who wears clothes.

I don’t know were it came from though.

9 Likes

When were coffee shops not hipster?

6 Likes

That’s some good ambience.
For myself, my ambient hipster lifestyle soundtrack is made up of a whole lot of vaporwave, but I guess it takes all types (to create a suitably ambiguous caricature almost anyone could hate).

1 Like

Careful there! You don’t meet nice girls in coffee shops.

3 Likes

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb! Rhubarb – rhubarb rhubarb.

Rhubarb.

5 Likes

I prefer peas and carrots myself.

3 Likes

5 Likes

(Is that a This Heat reference?)

As probably no one would refer to themselves as a “hipster,” I figure that it’s variously an exonym, or a synonym for “poseur.” About 22 years ago it might have been the same deal with the term “Gen-X.”

I was called a Hipster by a friend. i was wearing a yellow polyester cardigan and I said that I looked schlubby but she said no, I looked Hipster. But I’m over 40 so maybe she was just trying to be nice. Or maybe because she is also over 40 we are both out of touch. Meh.

4 Likes

No, it’s what stage actors do to simulate conversation in the background.

1 Like

(But now I get it)

There’s a song called “Makeshift Swahili” by This Heat that ends with the word “rhubarb” repeated over and over.
https://g.co/kgs/yILeq

3 Likes

(Same with peas and carrots, BTW, FYI, etc.)

2 Likes

I’ve heard that “watermelon watermelon watermelon…” is also used. It gives more facial variation than rhubarb.

“Cantaloupe watermelon rutabaga” was what a bunch of the drama geeks in high school said they used. (I was a band geek. There was some crossover.)

1 Like

FYI:

2 Likes

I see your Harry Gibson and raise you one Lord Buckley.

1 Like