"London's hipsters", according to The Sunday Times

[Permalink]

Yeah, I caught this yesterday - the one day in 10 years the Sunday Times crossed my threshold.

I presumed they were re-defining the term for the middle england mass market, in preparation for the Boden catalogue “hipster” section.

Everyone can be a hipster too.

When’'s that picture from: 1980?

An epic fail. Clearly the editorial staff of The Sunday Times see themselves as hipsters, and portrayed their own ‘family-afternoon-out’ attire. This is standard Richmond Hill (Surrey) wear, and is as far away from Hipster as you could possibly get. Range Rover parked just out of shot.

To be fair, the older of the two girls wouldn’t look too out of place in the Sebright, if she wasn’t, you know, a child…

“They’re selling hippie wigs in Woolworths, man.”

Hmm, I think that leather jacket once belonged either to Richie Aprile or Michael de Santa.

More like ‘London’s squares’. Amirite?

Preposterous.

Hipster’s don’t have children. They somehow appear when 18-year-olds want to feel relevant and disappear when they get a real job in their 30s.

It is known.

London has punks; NY has hipsters. Tragedy equilibrium.

I’m pretty sure the guy was photoshopped in from a 1960’s knitwear catalogue. He looks like an undercover cop.

So, nobody admits to being a hipster until somebody who isn’t a hipster is given hipster cred?

Can’t they just tell everyone that they were hipsters before everybody else was?

Vintage Sears Catalog moment.

It’s almost like “hipster” has no real meaning or something.

They culturally appropriated the name of hipsters before anyone else did.

Well, great, the Times just outed these poor people, putting them in danger after their disguises were working. Relocation programs like that are a lot of work. But clearly MI6 needs some updating to their wardrobe department, as they’re stuck in the 80s, but…oh…I thought it said “tipster.”

Nevermind.

Hipster is dead.

The Oxford dictionary defines a “hipster” as : “a person who follows the latest trends and fashions.” So what you are really complaining about here is that The Sunday Times uses a word that’s been in use since the 1940’s as defined instead of to refer to the sub-culture de jour.

They’d generate fewer guffaws if they stuck to the present vernacular. These people are clearly yuppies.

I’ll see your Oxford dictionary and raise you one <a href=“http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster"target=”_blank">Urban dictionary.