Man, angry at likeness being used to show that hipsters all look the same, learns it's not him in the photo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/08/man-angry-at-likeness-being-u.html

11 Likes

34 Likes

Heh!

Number One Rule when you’re a hipster: Always deny that you’re a hipster.

27 Likes

33 Likes

That story is so hilariously ironic, ma-a-an.

22 Likes

Chef

21 Likes

I resemble that remark!!

10 Likes

I wanna be different, just like Johnny.

3 Likes

All this reminds me of a conversation I had with a long ago co-worker, an excellent engineer and all-around nice guy who happened to be into “country”. He told me of his recent evening at a country-western themed bar. Some guys walked in dressed alike, wearing pastel woven neckties, khakis and loafers. Yuppies. “We were all just laughing at 'em.” I asked him why people reacted that way; was it about what they wore? “No, it was the fact that all walked in together, dressed exactly alike.” I then asked him if he and the others there wore western-style hats, shirts, pants, and boots. His response, rather sheepishly: “Okay. I get your point.”

39 Likes

“the counterintuitive phenomenon in which people who oppose mainstream culture all end up looking the same.”

This is true of pretty much any niche. Metal heads, goths, rivet heads, punks, Jugalos, the various branching sub-niches… it all tends to homogenize into a look until there is another schism.

19 Likes

Supposedly my neighborhood (Seward) is the most hipster neighborhood in the most hipster city (Minneapolis.) My husband has long hair in a pony tail, a nice full beard, wears mostly plaid flannel, is in touch with his feelings, walks or bikes to his job at a non profit, drinks craft beer, etc. Definitely a hipster. BUT he’s 53 - way too old to be a hipster. Leading me to wonder if perhaps he is the ur hipster?

19 Likes

It goes way back… Mad Magazine, June 1959

33 Likes
44 Likes

Never for one moment doubt that you are a unique, beautiful, irreplaceable individual. Just like everyone else.

25 Likes

I’m so nonconformist I don’t even conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity. So there.

10 Likes

Hey! Me too!

16 Likes

12 Likes

Hipsters don’t canonically have ponytails. Tapers and fades with an occasional man-bun.

4 Likes

This is one of the most satisfying stories i’ve ever heard :hugs:

9 Likes

Always makes me laugh :joy:

1 Like