Man arrested attempting to lower Confederate flag

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/24/man-arrested-attempting-to-lower-confederate-flag.html

11 Likes

“He did nothing wrong.”

23 Likes

A true American patriot.

Barack Obama GIF by Democratic National Convention

28 Likes

According to the article, the insurrectionist flag and property belongs to the Adam Washington Bellenger Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 68 organisation. I hope this story draws attention to the fact that a white supremacist organisation like this exists at all.

35 Likes

A flag that deserves burning.
Why that sh!t is flying anywhere in the USofA boggles my mind.

27 Likes

It’s bad enough that some idiots living in states that actually did succeed during the American Civil War, but I live in Wisconsin. Why do I see these damn things flying around here? Luckily not very many, but far more than you’d expect. I keep wondering if they got lost or something.

(The worst one so far is a merging of the current USA flag with the Confederate battle flag - cut diagonal and sew together. I can’t even begin to wrap my head around what makes someone think those go together!)

29 Likes

For what it’s worth there are yahoos in New Zealand with that flag on their trucks. They think it’s some secret signal of flouting authority or some such bullshit.

26 Likes

American Swastika.

36 Likes

Now I recall more clearly: once upon a time, my R mother forwarded me an email mb the title was “A book fit for burning” I was like wha? So I read it and the catholic women’s league or some such was all twitterpated about a fantasy book that cast a catholic - church alike as the villains. Phillip Pullman’s The Golden Compass. A made up fantasy about a world where all humans have talking magical animal ‘souls’ with sailing balloons, talking armored polar bears and an evil global oppressive church.

I looked on my son’s bookshelf and there it was. So I read it. Fun book, interesting world building, but I didn’t read the next two (YA fantasy being a bit not my cupola tea).

When I tried to explain it was a fantasy that only tangentially refers to churches or real world religions she wouldn’t listen. All about indoctrinating the children… with tales of talking polar bears…. ok!

19 Likes

I read an anecdote somewhere where a young woman’s first roommate in college had put up a large confederate flag over her bed. The young woman (I’m pretty sure she was Black) asked the roommate, “what does that flag mean to you?” The roommate said, “it means I’m a rebel.”
The young woman said, “hmmm. It doesn’t mean that to everyone.” And left it alone.
A couple days later, the roommate had taken the flag down.

26 Likes

Canada too. I recently saw one on a F150 with wide rear wheels, a Fuck Trudeau flag, and a train horn.

The horn was the chef’s kiss. I couldn’t help anti-admire someone who screams so loudly “I am a giant douchebag with a micro penis!”

18 Likes

“The polar bears made me do it.”

14 Likes

If a Panzerbjörn tells you to do something, you’d better do it.

17 Likes

it is a not-so secret sign that they are a racist.

They are also a racist that sides with a group that decisively lost a war, but hey, they (pretend?) they have pride in being racist losers.

11 Likes

Just back from Trout Lake Nova Scotia! Awesome.

A friend once rang me kinda early on a Saturday AM: wanna go sailing? so I throw a jacket, water bottle and an apple into a sack w some sunscreen dontchaknow and ride out on the ebike. mb 9 AM? as I hit the flats on the way to the marina a truck passes me lane over, switches to my lane and then starts rolling coal right in front of me. I just held my breath and smiled, secure in the knowledge Sir Douche was ruining his truck by doing so. Shoulda read his plate, but there was a lot of smoke. Northern CA, nearer to Sonoma than SF.

Betcha he had a rebel flag somewhere or some swastikas or both, shitbirds of a feather

16 Likes

Not long ago, drove by a huge one on a highway in SC. Googled where Spartanburg was to see if it was the same one. Nope, completely different location.

Exactly how many large Confederate flags are flying next to highways in SC?

13 Likes

Perhaps the question to ask is how many highways in SC don’t have Confederate flags.

13 Likes

Everytime I gotta drive through SC, you gotta pass that fuckin’ thing… I’m glad a fellow ATLien tried to do something about that god damn eyesore.

Agree with everyone else, he’s a true hero…

To The Rescue Hero GIF by Sesame Street

21 Likes

Bonus points if they were coal-rolling

6 Likes

Seems that even fucking autocorrect is a Confederate sympathizer now.

16 Likes