Man arrested for donut flakes that cop insisted was meth

Maybe the officer’s basis was that Krispy Kreme donuts are addictive. They are! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Florida man Daniel Rushing was arrested for possessing donut glaze crumbs on the floor of his car.

You can’t make this shit up, for fucks sake.

9 Likes

2 Likes

Awesome police work there… wait you telling me there’s a cop out there that can’t identify sugar from a donut? balderdash!

7 Likes

He probably thought the guy was snorting coke because of the icing sugar moustache (right after taking a bite)

2 Likes

Well, it certainly seems to that any one of these incidents should invalidate the use of that manufacturer’s test as probable cause.

3 Likes

The police’s story had giant holes in it.

:doughnut: :doughnut:
:tongue:

20 Likes

They probably have trouble with those high-end Krispy Kreme donuts. All the cops around here hang out in the low-rent 24-hour Dunkin clones.

6 Likes

When Rushing opened his wallet, she saw that he had a concealed weapons
permit, she wrote. He told her that he had a gun, and she asked him to
step out of his car, a small Chevy.

One thing better CHL instructors teach is to keep your CHL in an interior pocket in your wallet so it isn’t visible when you hand over your driver’s license. Florida is not a “Duty to Inform” state, so he didn’t have to say or show anything relating to his firearm unless she asked.

Law Enforcement are not our friends, you want to keep any encounter with them as brief as possible, and not volunteer information, verbally or by letting the cops peek in your wallet.

2 Likes

You were incredibly naive, lucky, and (I’m guessing) not black.

2 Likes

Wrong red flag.

4 Likes

18 Likes

drove through a stop sign going a bit above the speed limit

Is there a speed at which you are allowed to drive through a stop sign?

9 Likes

I stand corrected.

1 Like

Obviously, 11 years of training and experience as a LEO isn’t enough time to recognize narcotics. Hope she gets more training very soon!

12 Likes

Yes, naive and not black.

Truth is, at this point in my life even being a middle aged, straight white guy I would have an attorney present for any questioning and deny any access to anything of mine without a warrant.

And I can only get away with that because I am a straight middle aged white guy.

4 Likes

I bet the donut sugar mysteriously disappears before it gets entered into evidence, this was no accident folks! the street name for donut glaze is popo crack.

also, am i the only person starting to wonder if the HUGE false positive rates on these road side drug tests is a feature not a bug. a positive, even if false, is pretty much a blank check to search and seize just about anything.

7 Likes

Article said he got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop leaving a parking lot. Not sure about Florida, but stop signs on private property aren’t always enforceable.

3 Likes

am i the only person starting to wonder if the HUGE false positive rates on these road side drug tests is a feature not a bug. a positive, even if false, is pretty much a blank check to search and seize just about anything

If you refuse to allow your car to be searched, police will sometimes detain you until a K-9 unit can be called to inspect the exterior of the car. If the drug-sniffing dog “alerts” – i.e. reacts in a particular way – then they can take that as probable cause for a search of the car without the owner’s consent.

I would be surprised if a dog has ever failed to alert in the presence of a car that the cops wanted to search. Maybe it’s a variant of the Clever Hans effect, maybe it’s that the dogs are actively trained to alert in response to particular cues given by their handlers. Either way, if they call out a K-9 unit, they are going to search your car. And that’s definitely a feature, not a bug.

So let’s just say that while the high false positive rates may not be by design, I’m sure that – at least until the court cases started to come in – it was never seen as a reason to drop the tests.

8 Likes

In a rare bit of good news, the ability of cops to do that has been somewhat limited: they can’t make you wait for a canine unit. However, if one arrives before the rest of the stop is “concluded,” then yeah, you’re screwed.

4 Likes