Man blames severe stomach pain on street food — but nope, it's just a live cockroach living inside his belly

Originally published at: Man blames severe stomach pain on street food — but nope, it's just a live cockroach living inside his belly - Boing Boing

9 Likes

… another brief visit from the nopetopus

sea octopus GIF

20 Likes

Oh good, a new imagined terror to jolt myself awake to.

17 Likes

It’s probably pathological, but I find this kinda stuff absolutely fascinating! Gotta wonder how long it could survive in that environment? Take-home lesson: Always thoroughly chew your Democrat-required daily insect allotment before swallowing it!

19 Likes

“could have crawled down his throat while he slept”

A terrifying combination of words, that. Time for me to sleep in a full astronaut helmet.

9 Likes

9 Likes

Thanks for the best Halloween story this October. This is real nightmare fuel.

9 Likes

… I myself have eaten live ants — I always assumed they died as part of the process :ant:

2 Likes
8 Likes

Story time!

Many years ago, get a call in the office from a very upset mom.
“I just found my child eating ants! I already gave him some ant killer. What should I do next?”
Me: “…”
Mom: “Hello? What do I do?”
Me: “Guess you better bring him in…”

This wasn’t you, by any chance, was it?

12 Likes

… no one will ever believe you didn’t make that up as a horrible joke :scream:

6 Likes

Great, I’ll leave a note for the spider counter to brush away any insects trying to get in there. :sleeping: :zzz:

3 Likes

It seems more likely (more survivable) that it went in the other end. It seems most likely that it was introduced during the colonoscopy itself (and therefore wasn’t the cause of his distress).

5 Likes

gonna place upon my head the chapeau de skepticism with this one. Stomach (HCl) acid can etch metal and although insects don’t need much oxygen (it can take days) they do eventually asphyxiate. So either way: ‘down’ or ‘up’ i suspect if a live cockroach is really discovered in one’s intestine it got there …quite recently

6 Likes

I’m imagining the shock on their faces when the endoscope rounds a bend and comes face to face with a cockroach.

2 Likes

It’s a fun story, but nope, not so at all.

5 Likes

If a cockroach was on the endoscope, then the live insect was the very least of the problems this poor guy has! Cleaning and sterilizing of instruments is pretty standard in most settings, although I guess I cannot vouch for this one. Yeah, that’s

Ew Pass GIF

8 Likes

Roaches in my butt was not in my bingo card for Existential Worries

Im Good Opt Out GIF by FX Networks

9 Likes

No GIF

9 Likes

Well, it’s on average, so that one guy that’s choking down thousands of spiders a night really drives the average up. (Should use median for this data I guess!)

5 Likes