Man boasts about being smart, gets first question wrong on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

14 Likes

That’s good TV right there. Everyone likes to see a perceived elitist trip on their shoe laces.

9 Likes

I agree that intelligence is not correlated with trivia knowledge, and I’ve met many people who blow me away with their smarts, that don’t get what I think of as very well-known pop culture references (we’re talking “use the Force, Luke” level). That said, I would think that if he was anywhere near as smart as he thinks he is, he would have meta-gamed the question, realized it’s the first gimme question in a longer game, and that “to Ikea” (ugh, “IKEA” is an acronym, show writers) is the obvious answer, being the only non-city in the bunch. At least, that’s what I would have done, if I was the sort of person for whom the answer wasn’t immediately self-evident.

4 Likes

Am I the only person in North America who’s never been to an Ikea?

4 Likes

Probably not, but you’re definitely in the minority at least if you’re also a city-dweller. The first time I went to one I got lost and overwhelmed. I’m a “go into a small store and directly to the thing you want to buy” kind of shopper and so I don’t find it an enjoyable experience at all. But it seems most people, even those who don’t like the stores, have been at least once.

10 Likes

I really wouldn’t bash teens for not knowing about outdoors

39 Likes

I’ve never heard of a “meatball break” before, but it sure sounds like it exists next to “tea-bagging” and “salad-tossing”.

7 Likes

If only there was a cougher in the audience.

7 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

I have an IQ of 197. I know this because I took a precisely calibrated 7 question quiz on FB that may or may not have been a phishing attempt!

14 Likes

Paris isn’t wrong.
http://www.ballsrestaurant.fr/

Or London.

But, if you can’t afford a nice kitchen, you often can’t afford trips to Europe.

balls

7 Likes

10 Likes

The first time I went to one (Quebec), I declared it “Disneyland for Adults” and vowed to go to one in every city that had one. To say I love strolling around IKEA is an understatement. Plus, bonus MEATBALLS & LINGONBERRIES. When they cross-paired with LEGO last year I tweaked out. :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

A 'Curb Your Enthusiasm" moment. The sad thing is that game shows coach the contestants, urging them to show liveliness and enthusiasm.

4 Likes

I’ve heard of that one! Cats score 162 on average!

4 Likes

Indeed; the intentionally labyrinthine layout of most IKEAs is very off-putting to me.

Taking longer than necessary to get to the cashiers/exit is NOT going to make me want to buy more stuff along the way.

9 Likes

Of course since the contestant himself was the one who implied otherwise I don’t feel particularly charitable in my estimate of his overall intelligence either.

5 Likes

There are cut-throughs with easy-to-decipher maps to show how to get pretty much anywhere from where you are via the quickest route. IKEA is like so much in life: seems overwhelming at first, but there are signs if you know to look for them!

15 Likes

This reminds me of how Cliff Clavin lost on Jeopardy.

3 Likes