Man built an incredible underground bunker in his backyard

Pfft. How “incredible” can this be if he didn’t bury an excavator under the bunker?

2 Likes

Or a tunnel boring machine.

That’s what proton exchange membranes are for!

1 Like

He’s got his door swinging out so not only are the hinges exposed, but if the shed or any other weight falls on it, he’ll be trapped in there forever.

7 Likes

I don’t know why this guy gets so much attention. He comes across to me as a loud-mouthed attention-seeker. He rehashes things that have already been done, sometimes in an incompetent way such as when he badly burnt himself. On top of this, he is blatantly homophobic in one of his videos. I can’t believe that boingboing is promoting him. Basically, he is an arsehole.

2 Likes

Second sentence answers first?

Or… because his zest for life is that of any five makers that I know. He’s just so…excited by everything he does.

The second mouse gets the cheese. Often you have to do things multiple times and then compare results to see what fine nuances are the important ones.

And burns happen to the best of us. Beware of flame-melted hot melt adhesive, that thing is like a napalm, and it can be dripping from the side you work on into the enclosure/workpiece where it pools and waits until you stick your hand in. Don’t ask how I know.

When you work with flammable gases, the leaks are even more treacherous.

I’d be in favor of using a small self-contained nuclear reactor. With a LED-powered grow farm, this could result in a nice survival pod.

An inferior alternative is to use hydrogen and fuel cells or microturbines; the resulting water then can be used within the bunker.

That goes to Mk.2 retrofit. Trying to do everything perfectly at once usually ends on the project scope creep and nothing getting done. Don’t ask how I know.

Valid concerns. A stock of demolition-grade explosives to free yourself out of such mess is a good idea.

3 Likes

I want mine to have room for a cool car and an animatronic dinosaur. And I need to get quick access through the bat-poles hidden in my library.

1 Like

So, a reefer truck and a Pleo toy? :stuck_out_tongue:

You want a regular elevator. Trust me, you want an elevator.

Who do you think he’s hiding from? The local council, that’s who. God, I’d love to take on my local council with Wolverine claws. Rhaaaaa!

2 Likes

You can see from the other videos that he’s high above the water table. When they get down to bedrock it’s still bone dry

@greg_codori

I wondered exactly the same thing. On the filtration front, many cold war era self-build bunker guides did not include filtration for reasons of DIY - they simply introduced multiple right-angle bends in the inlet pipe to prevent fallout ingress.

@Ryjkyj

True, but if it opens the other way won’t the overpressure of the bomb blast just blow it in? I’d be tempted to have some telescopic props in the bunker to open the trapdoor in the eventuality you describe.

@HerbertHamster

I agree, his on-screen persona is that of a bit of a loud-mouth knob. He’s like the Bear Grylls of making stuff - and the videos are light on detail and heavy on yelling senselessly and dicking about. However he does take on some pretty cool builds and then do some pretty cool things with them - such as when he completed the Mongol Rally on his 70mph mobility scooter.

2 Likes

The steel alone for this project would be tens of thousands. But I couldn’t think of another better way to blow a wad of internet riches.

1 Like

Also needs a second escape hatch/tunnel. What if there’s a fire in there or some other reason you can’t get to the exit?

2 Likes

It might be a critical-thinking failure to assume that everyone who is mentioned is agreed with.

6 Likes

deys alive dammit!

2 Likes

This isn’t Austria, it’s Lincolnshire. But then again, it’s Lincolnshire, so, uh, yeah, probably.

@awjt

Yeah, a second tunnel leading to the house would be just the ticket if you were going full prep-becile. The riches being blown are all Sky’s; they’re promoting some bullshit end-of-the-world rom com or something. I’m not that bothered about a few thousand pounds of Dirty Digger’s money being chucked into a hole in the ground.

1 Like

Why the animosity?

A bunker can be pretty handy to have around. You can always use it as a wine cellar. And if part of it is well-shielded (thought: partially conductive EM-absorbing concrete?), it could serve as an EM-quiet place for doing sensitive measurements. Or as a TEMPEST-shielded room for secure machines.

Not mentioning that a bunker is fun to build.

Preppers are a good bunch to be around. Lots of things to talk about with; metals and their corrosion and corrosion protection in various environments, long term storage of everything from food to spare parts, ammunition and weapons “hot” and cold and their use, storage, training and manufacture with limited resources, bunkers and sheds, improvised medicine, surveillance from both its sides, tactics and strategy of both combat and combat evasion, different threat models, come-as-you-are mishap scenarios… An evening goes away pretty fast.

Cf. dragging evenings with people who aren’t capable of discussing anything but gossips, actors, or the latest Serious Outrage Of the Week, the things where you need to have phonebooks worth of memorized useless trivia crap… I happened to fall asleep couple times in such settings when I was foolish enough to go out.

5 Likes

Plus, a bunker is a great place to store your bucket collection.

4 Likes

Any collection.

And the servers, or at least the disk arrays.

1 Like