Man can't wear shorts to work on hot day, so he abides by women's dress code instead

I believe there was a call centre in the Netherlands which had no dress code at all. Be nude if you like. The owner made the point that it is hard to retain call centre staff, letting them do what they want so long as they didn’t harass other staff and were professional on the phone increased (a) the available labour pool and (b) the probability of retention.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Nope. Given we get about 4 days of summer, there’s no real point.

3 Likes

I live in Scotland, I’ve seen many a brown dude in a kilt. Nobody batted an eye. If you can where one here you can wear one anywhere.

8 Likes
6 Likes

We don’t have a no shorts policy here (located in Munich). It would be too hard to make exceptions for Lederhosen. Weather like this, It’s time to declare hitzefrei and head to the Biergarten. Or go nude sunbathing on the Isar banks. Prost! :beer:

EDIT: I do think it would be interesting to see a Lederhosen versus kilts debate, though…

6 Likes

That’s good to know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not grey, then? Pah, you think you know a person.

Another pale kilt guy here would welcome you.

5 Likes

But what about the children??

3 Likes

Happened on 6th June 1944, when Lord Lovat’s personal piper played for 1 Special Service Brigade.

“Millin, whom Lovat had appointed his personal piper during commando training at Achnacarry, near Fort William in Scotland, was the only man during the landing who wore a kilt – it was the same Cameron tartan kilt his father had worn in Flanders during World War I – and he was armed only with his pipes and the sgian-dubh, or “black knife”,” [Wikipedia]

He was not, apparently, shot by German snipers because they thought he was insane. He lived until 2010. Kilt 1, Lederhosen 0.

9 Likes

Reminds me of this gent

He seemed to be keen on playing bagpipes as well.

“Mad Jack led one group up one hill, but only six of them managed to reach the target. Jack found himself in open view of the enemy with only a few able-bodied men to defend him, so he did what any sensible soldier would have done… he played his bagpipes—“Will Ye No Come Back Again” this time—until he was knocked unconscious by German grenades and captured.”

The linked article is too good. I would totally watch a movie/series about this guy.

5 Likes

Why not both?

3 Likes

Dunno if it’s been a constant thing all these years, but I first saw this in A^2 back in 1972 – the most popular cashier at the student union bookstore was a skirt-clad guy. (Midis, dark floral patterns, narrow elasticized waistband, Indian cotton)

4 Likes

6 Likes

I wonder have kids at any school had to resort to wearing skirts to avoid the heat?

3 Likes

Because it’s damned uncomfortable, that’s why. Defeats the purpose.

Based on practical experience, Lederhosen are good for alpine conditions, nice and rugged. Kilts are not so much highland as lowland dress. Good for hills and plains, not so for climbing and such. Both have their advantages, really.

2 Likes

And… whoosh! :wink:

2 Likes

There is no “up” in cyberspace. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Cause we are rootin’ tootin’ cowboys!

######In our own minds only.

3 Likes

cowboy toots are the worst! :slight_smile: right behind truck driver farts.

6 Likes