Man carrying 5 guns, body armor arrested in Atlanta supermarket

Sorry I more just meant what is “the west” is now “the midwest”.

I didn’t see much of Kansas, I didn’t get pulled over for speeding til the next stateish.

1 Like

Pretty much the Mild, Mild West nowadays. :smile:

4 Likes

53k49c

4 Likes

Another very sad incident:

6 Likes

yeah, I had a few friends who worked on remote telemetry ; apparently you can get a handgun license if you do that kind of work, but none of them ever tried and you have to make a real good case. I’d guess remote weather station in polar bear country or something like that (but the usual solution is to hire a local hunter who will stand guard and actively scan for bears…relying on your reactions and a small caliber gun not the best idea). I think trappers are in the group that can qualify. It is legal to carry a short barrel shotgun in Canada…I think 19 inches. Better solution than a handgun. Buddy of mine had one for when he went fishing in waders. Couple people in Alberta have been predated upon by Grizzly bears when doing that. My brother in law did a little moonlighting for a security firm in the 1970s in Toronto…depending on the assignment ( bodyguard was one of the things he did but I don’t know if that qualified ) they might get a handgun but with a limited number of bullets (usually one I think). He said they sometimes got a gun to wear but no bullets, don’t know if he was serious. That’s not to say there are not handguns in Canada; lots of crimes involve them…
EDIT: by the way, the personal protection option Canadian Prime Ministers usually deploy is “The Shawinigan Handshake”
https://youtu.be/zMBJp0yJvsY?t=30

Looks like a pretty standard /r/EDC post to me…

2 Likes

Why does the caption pinned to the table say “Associate of the Week” ?

Edit: the picture was taken in the store, not the police station

4 Likes

Yah, I understand why this is a persuasive argument. However there are solutions to that situation as well. Gun buybacks, for example worked really well in Australia when they began their gun control era.

The bottom line is, America has tried not regulating guns for hundreds of years. It is now the land of twice-weekly mass shootings. Time to try anything else. To me that argument supersedes all others.

Yah, that’s gun enthusiast propaganda. Guns are like pouring gasoline on every situation. They make things violent that otherwise wouldn’t be.

I hear you. I actually really like pistol shooting at targets, but I would never ever own one. My dad said it best- if you keep a pistol in the house for self defence, you are planning to murder someone someday. Since you can’t ever point a gun at someone and not be prepared to shoot, either you won’t ever need it, or you will and murder is likely. If you never want to be in that position, don’t buy a gun. For me that’s a no brainer. Plenty of other good means of self defence.

7 Likes

… I don’t remember putting any references like that in my comment; perhaps you were replying to someone else?

Nuh-uh. No way. The majority of Americans have been saying we have too many guns for decades. Many have been screaming it at the top of their lungs. But the NRA and their pet politicians have been forcing them down the country’s throat instead of listening. No fucking way that it’s ok to argue “well, against our better judgement we have too many guns, so now we need more; sorry (not sorry).”

That’s not a persuasive argument from anyone but a toddler.

5 Likes

It’s not logical from a public policy standpoint, but the game theory for why it’s a good argument on an individual basis is completely water tight.

How? Having a gun in the home is still statistically more dangerous than not having one in the home. That hasn’t magically changed.

4 Likes

Having guns in the home lead to a 16 year old friend of mine shooting himself in the head three weeks ago. Perhaps his eventual suicide was inevitable, but having access to a rifle certainly made it easier for him.

6 Likes

You said:

[quote=“Bonivus_elderheart, post:8, topic:194622”]
In some areas, openly carrying is classified as brandishing and illegal. Your local laws may vary. (Georgia appears to require a license for open carry and concealed carry.)
There is absolutely zero reason for carrying three pistols and two rifles into a store, however.

I was commenting that the type of person who wants to carry 3 pistols etc into a store often has regressive views that aren’t rooted in logic. (Eg: Saying they miss the “wild west” where you could carry you guns around, when really the main commonality between the wild west and the world they are engineering is systematic racism)

I was replying to you. Sorry I wasn’t detailed enough for you to understand. I can keep replying with more detail if things are unclear and you wish to continue the thread. On my end I’m off to find something happier to read about.

im so sorry for your loss. the brother of a good friend of mine also died a few years back because of gun suicide. he was twenty.

guns absolutely are the problem. nothing else makes death seem like such a simple solution. for the family and friends left behind, it’s anything but.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline – 1-800-273-8255

don’t go it alone. it’s hard thing to handle, and it’s okay to ask for help

7 Likes

I don’t know about you or anyone else but I feel so overwhelmingly gaslit by so many “need for mental health” type bullshit platitudes that get bandied about every time needless deaths by guns comes up and I’m so tired of it. Because there literally is no functional “mental health” solution that wouldn’t restrict and regulate firearms.

8 Likes

That’s really what it is.

Ammosexuals have, for a very long time now, been trying to build an automatic no true scottsman.

“everyone who owns a gun is a sexy dude with a big penis. Except people who use guns in a socially unpopular way that may reflect badly on me. Those guys are all mentally insane and never are just me on a day I lose self-control”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.