Walgreens bans openly carrying guns in its stores

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/05/walgreens-bans-openly-carrying.html

7 Likes

It’s happening, big Corps. are running away from the Gun Culture, guess it ain’t cute no more to open carry while you shop for tooth paste…

28 Likes

Better late than never.

“Bit by bit, inch by inch…”

19 Likes

This is lunacy. It’s like you’re trying to tell me that private property owners have the right to allow or disallow certain activities on their own property!

What’s next, libs, no guns in hospitals or libraries or courthouses?

23 Likes

That’s sarcasm. I recognize that. Yet…there are probably real (or maybe “real”) people out there who literally believe what you just said. :frowning:

15 Likes

Isn’t that illegal in Texas now? I thought that the Lone Star State just passed a law to that effect in response to the recent high-profile shootings.

2 Likes

It’s amazing that this was ever allowed.

10 Likes

Texas may or may not have passed a law saying private property owners can’t restrict open carry on their premises. I very much doubt gun nationalism is a more important concern to the SCOTUS than, say, the rights of private corporations to police people’s activities.

7 Likes

In places that prohibit businesses from banning firearms (deregulation, doncha know?) the alternative may be to have the suspect followed through the store by armed guards with weapons drawn and ready. “Good man with a gun,” right?

13 Likes

Some of them even comment here.

10 Likes

Shapiro is such a hypocritical tool so often.

Every state that has either open carry, licensed conceal carry, or constitutional carry has language in the law where businesses can opt out with a sign.

I mean open carry is the low hanging fruit of all of this. Almost no one does it other than cops/armed security.

7 Likes

It’s no longer useful to think in terms of “the right” and “the left.”

No, it’s very much “totally insane fascists” and “everybody else” at this point.

Someday I hope we learn just how much Russian money flowed to the GOP, its candidates, and organizations that support it. Because to my mind, a lot of this insanity is likely fueled by Russian state-level destabilization efforts. Alas, they found a bunch of useful idiots willing to say and do anything for a buck.

Well, the Russians certainly found a way to best the “free market” approach in the long run — trivially easy to turn it on itself, it turns out.

14 Likes

And pressed to the customer’s temple. Thank you for shopping with us today!

1 Like

… or at the Republican National Convention? Or on a tour of Fox News headquarters or the NRA’s HQ?

14 Likes

Well, to be fair to Ben Shapiro, he may be a hypocrite, but he’s consistently a hilariously self-owning idiot.

8 Likes

Someone in my town complained on NextDoor about local businesses having “No Guns” signs, saying they were going to be sued for violating the 2nd amendment. The post had 270 comments last I checked (and now seems to have been removed entirely).

3 Likes

You’d like to think that the Walmart heirs have a conscience. But in reality this is a measure to prevent liability now that there have recently been a couple of horrific shootings in their stores. Believe me, someone at Walmart HQ has run the numbers and determined that it will cost them less (in lost sales to right-wing gun zealots who will now boycott the company) than they would be risking in legal payouts when they are found partially responsible for shootings in their stores that sell ammo etc.

5 Likes

Honestly, I’m really surprised that someone who’s carrying concealed due to a scary ex or some such hasn’t seen a dude with a long arm strolling about the store and done the quite rational “he might not be planning to kill people including me, but I’d rather be assume he is and be wrong than assume he isn’t and be wrong.”

1 Like

So you’re saying the paper violated the First Amendment in a story about how the local business violated the Second!?

Anyone who openly flaunts a firearm while shopping around where I live would only be doing it for the attention. (very urban area)
If I saw someone doing that, I would immediately start shouting out:
"HEY EVERYBODY!! THIS GUY HAS A GUN! THIS GUY HAS A GUN!"

You want attention? I’ll give you attention.

11 Likes