Man conquers noisy neighbors with "magic"

Ugh. I don’t miss the days of apartment living. My wife and I once had two guys living in the unit below ours that would blast Madonna and Cher karaoke in the middle of the week after midnight. Then they once had the nerve to say that we were “walking too loudly” around our apartment during daytime hours.

4 Likes

I’ve done this before. Most Bluetooth speakers allow for several devices to sync at once. My son was playing loud music upstairs, and I noticed music controls appear on my phone.

I was able to pause or mess with the volume of the speaker. In fact, pausing the song makes the fun last longer than changing the song because the person thinks it’s just a technical issue, not actual meddling…

5 Likes

The obligatory xkcd!

14 Likes

Aww, damnit. That ruins my “See Kamala is right about Bluetooth!” joke.

4 Likes

Conversely, when I lived in NYC with 2 windows total, both on an airshaft, I had a neighbor who practiced his trumpet from noon-1:00pm every day. You could set your clocks by it. He’d figured out exactly when virtually everyone would be awake, including babies and toddlers who weren’t ready for their afternoon nap yet. And he was good (professional level). So instead of being a nuisance, it was a pleasant intrusion.

15 Likes

Ah, nothing says “Christmas” like gentle showers of asbestos dust… (depending on the age of the popcorn ceiling, of course)

8 Likes

Years ago, I lived above a landlord who was hard of hearing. Every time it started thundering or there were fireworks, he thought it was us. Man, I wished I could have commanded the forces of nature like he apparently thought was happening.

2 Likes

I lived in a dorm for three years in college. I’ve never had an apartment experience that was 1/10th as annoying as that. My freshman year, there was a guy down the hall who was pretty muscular. If he walked past your door, and the door was open, he’d reach in, grab the handle, and slam the door so hard it wouldn’t latch, but instead bounce back and slam a second time against the door stop. If you were studying intently at that moment, it would just about stop your heart. Then there was the other guy who had People are People by Depeche Mode on a near constant loop for weeks. I still can’t stand that song, even though, objectively, it’s a perfectly fine song. Then there were the pranks….jeezus I don’t miss dorm life one bit.

5 Likes

I was kind of hoping he had one of those “remote control” wands that he set up to do the macro on the computer, but… same difference.

3 Likes

My noisy neighbors are coyotes but I like their music and even join in sometimes if the smoke is blowing in the right direction…

5 Likes

Swapped out the kettle bell for kettle drums? :thinking:

3 Likes

Aircrack-ng works ONLY with 802.11a,b, and g. I know of no self-respecting homeowner that still has this outdated technology and I don’t know of any equivalent in 2021. But maybe someone else does?

1 Like

Even the songwriter doesn’t like that song. From Wikipedia:

Martin Gore considers it one of his least favourite songs. He prefers his songs to have subtle metaphors to allow people to find their own meanings to his songs, and feels “People Are People” does not fit that description. In 1990, he listed the song among some of the music he “regrets”, calling “People Are People” “too nice, too commercial.” It has not been played live since 1988.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.