Man costumed as The Joker arrested and charged with "wearing a mask in public"

Sounds ok to me. Pretty useful law if you take the Klan into consideration.

1 Like

If only the Founding Fathers could have foreseen…

Well regulated ninjas being necessary to the security of a free State,

12 Likes

It sounds terrible to me. The only way this law could work or be fixed is to add “…during the commission of another crime” to it. Otherwise, you’re outlawing religious face-coverings, freedom of expression through wearing a mask, and any number of other constitutional rights. Those aren’t worth sacrificing just to stick it to the klan.

9 Likes

WHY the hell do people phone police about things which don’t have anything to do with law enforcement? Or indeed anything else?

4 Likes

I was trying to do something kinda delicate when i read your comment. I had to retry because of the eyeroll.

1 Like

Nope, in this case it’s the only thing they’re charging him with, because apparently open carrying a sword in this area is legal and they couldn’t charge him with what really concerned them: “being a weirdo.” Make-up isn’t even covered by the law (no pun intended), the law is against “masks and hoods,” passed specifically to deal with Klan terrorism.

2 Likes

I’m hoping he is found not guilty or the case is thrown out.

In the current political climate, I can see a guilty verdict being used against trans women.

7 Likes

But a butterfly knife could reasonably be classified as a “concealed” weapon, which usually requires a license. A sword is more analogous to a rifle, only less lethal (under most circumstances).

But kitchen knives are presumably legal so you still need a law to specifically prohibit swords.

1 Like

That exception seems large enough to drive a bus through. There is undoubtedly an aspect of theater to this.

unless . . .

giant bong hit

There is no such thing as Theater, such artifice is bourgeois false consciousness. This man was creating a Situation!

cough pure dialectic cough

12 Likes

Virginia, why so serious?

8 Likes

Awesome.

I was riding a motorcycle in the winter back in 1986 I believe and this was a pretty rare occurance then for NC. A cop stopped me and hassled me a little but ultimately let me go. I was wearing a ski mask under my helmet and he cited the “No going around with masks” law that was definitely from the Klan era. Greensboro had had a run in six years earlier with the Klan and they were still a little on edge I think. Let me move along with a warning. But I am white and YMMV

2 Likes

Wait, you’re saying that they should arrest people for the “offense” of making them (the police/other people) nervous.

I mean, I’d probably avoid the dude walking down the street with a sword, but if he’s not causing actual harm then leave 'em alone.

1 Like

my grandma would be felonious at church.

4 Likes

You win the Internet Pun of the Day award.

Re: edged weapon laws GREATLY vary on the state. What is legal concealed is generally something <4" like a pocket knife. Something larger is ok if not concealed. Extra restrictions on “bad” knives like switch blades and butterfly knives. But again, varies greatly.

I am guessing this guy was going to a convention or some nerd get together. But who knows. If I had a sword, I’d put it in a poster tube.

1 Like

Ask Gladys Kravitz. She might know.

3 Likes

For the same reason they call IT if the (non-IoT) microwave is broken: they don’t know how to do what they need to and they do know the number for some folks who seem savvy.

3 Likes

Women wearing makeup will be next

3 Likes

True story: in decades past, Seattle passed an “anti-sword” law because it was legal to carry one (as long as it wasn’t concealed) and we had a local wannabe hero and not-the-sharpest-tack-in-the-bag fellow who went by the nickname of “Conan” (I’ll let you guess why) running around.

3 Likes