Man critical of decision to site two virtually identical tire shops next to same Taco Bell

What’s the diff? He’s just trying to do everyone a good turn, though perhaps he should curb his enthusiasm for his over-inflated opinion. At the core of his argument is hot air - but whatever floats your boat or makes your cargo.

7 Likes

Topic receiving great traction and mileage with the punny’s.

6 Likes

Tacos and tires just go together so well!

They do that in Chicago as well (107th Street, 107th Place, 108th Street…) but that’s not quite the same as the same street changing its name; for instance, in that Commercial Street example from Massachusetts, we have one thoroughfare that starts out as Water Street, then becomes Commercial Street, then becomes Fresh River Avenue, before finally becoming Fort Hill Street. In the Chicago and Kansas City examples, Streets and their corresponding Places/Terraces are parallel to one another.

While cities in the Midwest and West tend to be laid out in a grid, Chicago’s grid does have a few wrinkles in it. The normal rule is 800 to a mile, but the first mile south of Madison St. is 1200 S (12th St. aka Roosevelt Rd.), the second mile is 2200 S (22nd St. aka Cermak Rd.), and the third is 3100 S (31st St.). South of 31st the 800-to-a-mile rule resumes, and the Chicago grid extends far beyond the city (though many suburbs use their own grids).

1 Like

Too many tacos have definitely given me a spare tire (or two).

4 Likes

6 Likes

Really, it’s closer to three tire shops in a row.

5 Likes

Dammit.

All the good (and bad) puns have been made already; this thread should go into early retirement.

6 Likes

If you or someone you know has a Costco membership, I recommend getting tires there. They’re more diligent, frequently have brand-specific sales (provided you don’t need the tires right away and can wait for the sale you want to roll around) that I’ve found beat Discount Tires. I’ve also found wait times just to speak with a rep at Discount Tires and get a quote to be considerably longer; they’re friendly, but disorganized in my experience. Haven’t tried Tires at a Discount, but will keep them in mind if Costco is ever not an option.

2 Likes

You must not break your puns. Put a brake on them.
And @GulliverFoyle - you too.

brakes

Them’s the brakes!

5 Likes

I just moved to a little village (population ~1,200) in Tasmania.

It used to have a small grocery, but that closed down a year or so ago.

The next town down the road, which is only slightly larger (population ~1,300), has two identically-branded IGA grocery stores, both on the main street, about a hundred metres away from each other.

4 Likes

If there is any justice in the Universe it should not be possible to change a tire in that town, while in your own lowly hamlet the black art of tire transmutation should be practiced as a cottage industry. I pray that this is so.

1 Like

Better: my town has a seahorse farm. Once we get our genetically-engineered aquatic cavalry organised, those groceries are ours for the taking. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Oh freakin’ excellent. I wondered what had become of the tech to grow those beautiful creatures.
'Tis a pity they will wind up dried, dessicated, and sold to the Chinese for their voodoo medicine.

So they sell burritos?

I suspect it’s more that it’s a relic of the old days when Boston and it’s surroundings were (in folklore but not literally) laid out by meandering cow paths. Then later on they tried to impose square intersections with traffic lights, and more well defined town borders, mix in a few decades to centuries of zoning changes and subdivisions and random local disputes and whatnot, and this is what you get. Town borders are so complication there’s a stretch of one main road near me where you cross back and forth among the same 3 towns I think about 5 times in maybe a mile.

futurama-zoidberg-bless-thread

5 Likes

Man critical of critical man who shoots vertical video.

Ahem.

I’ve been avoiding pun threads about two identical tire shops my entire career.

And then you go and start this one, just two days before I re-tire.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.